April 5, 2013 |
Comcast Corp. Chief Executive Brian Roberts might run the nation's largest entertainment and cable TV company, but he ranks in the middle of the media pack in terms of salary and perks. Roberts received $29 million in compensation last year, an increase of 8% over 2011, according to a regulatory filing by the company Friday. One of Roberts' ranking lieutenants, Steve Burke, who is chief executive of NBCUniversal, got a double-digit bump. Burke received $26.3 million in compensation in 2012, an 11.3% increase over the previous year, primarily because of increases in the value of his pension.
February 20, 2013 |
Comcast Corp. said its cable systems will stop accepting ads for guns or from retail outlets promoting gun sales as part of a new policy. A spokesman for the nation's largest cable operator said the approach is similar to one its entertainment unit NBCUniversal has for its broadcast TV stations. The moves come in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting that left 26 people dead. This doesn't mean Comcast is going completely gun-free. The NBC Sports Network, a cable channel, will continue to accept advertisements for weapons that are used for hunting, such as shotguns and rifles.
February 14, 2013 |
After the coffee. Before figuring out who forgot to send me a valentine. The Skinny: I'm in D.C., where a tiny bit of snow and rain has frozen the roads and created distress. In my youth that meant snow day! Now it's just a pain in the you-know-what. Thursday's headlines include Time Warner looking to unload many of its magazines and a review of the new "Die Hard" movie. Daily Dose: Actor J.K. Simmons is doubling down on his TV options. Set to star in an ABC mid-season comedy called "Family Tools," he has now also been cast in a new NBC sitcom in development for next season.
February 13, 2013 |
After the coffee. Before seeing if Christopher Dorner coverage got higher ratings in Los Angeles than the State of the Union address. The Skinny: Is it "Happy Gilmore" week on AMC? Every time I flip to AMC that Adam Sandler classic is playing. Wednesday's headlines include Comcast's move to buy out General Electric's stake in NBCUniversal, and Netflix makes another push into original programming. Also a peek at TV pilot season. Sorry, movie buffs, there was a shortage of real cinematic news today.
February 13, 2013 |
Comcast Corp. is buying out General Electric Co.'s stake in entertainment company NBCUniversal for $16.7 billion, and will take full control of a media conglomerate that includes the NBC network, Universal Studios theme parks, Universal Pictures film studio and cable channels USA Network, Bravo and MSNBC. The purchase comes two years after the Philadelphia cable TV operator acquired a 51% interest in the media company, leaving GE with a 49% stake. Comcast had an option to buy more of GE's interest beginning in July 2014.
February 12, 2013 |
Comcast Corp. is buying out General Electric's shares of NBCUniversal for about $16.7 billion -- taking full control of the New York media company. The purchase comes two years after Comcast acquired 51 percent interest in the media company, leaving GE with a 49% stake. The purchase will end GE's ownership of NBC, which dates back more than 25 years. Comcast also will acquire the midtown Manhattan headquarters of NBCUniversal at the legendary 30 Rockefeller Plaza as well as the CNBC headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., for about $1.4 billion. Comcast had an option to buy out GE in July 2014, but its accelerated purchase indicates that Comcast is pleased with how the media company is performing.
December 19, 2012 |
After the coffee. Before packing in case the Mayans are right. The Skinny: It's cold here! What's up with that? Wednesday's headlines include Time Warner Cable dropping the little arts channel Ovation and a review of "Zero Dark Thirty. " Also, satellite radio broadcaster Sirius XM names a new interim chief executive. Daily Dose: If you can't find a big TV to watch the Super Bowl, fear not. The NFL will again make the big game available. Also being streamed will be the wild card playoff games and the Pro Bowl.
September 26, 2012 |
A technology designed in Britain to complement television viewing launches Thursday in the U.S., in partnership with three high-profile media partners: Comcast Cable, NBCUniversal and HBO. Zeebox seeks to harness the small screens in the living room to enhance the TV experience. Its application for smartphones and tablets automatically identifies the program the viewer is watching, then displays relevant information and loops in conversations from social networks. A viewer checking out HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" would be able to invite Facebook friends to watch the episode, see what people are saying about the show on Twitter, read star Steve Buscemi's biography, or follow links to learn more about Prohibition or the notorious gangster Al Capone.
August 24, 2012 |
So much for game, set, match. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit has put the brakes on the Federal Communications Commission's order last month requiring cable giant Comcast to make the Tennis Channel available to all of its subscribers. Comcast is seeking to overturn an FCC ruling that it had discriminated against the Tennis Channel by not making it available to the same number of its subscribers that receive Golf Channel and NBC Sports Network, which it owns.
August 21, 2012 |
Jay Leno worked in some jabs at his bosses at NBC and its corporate parent Comcast on Monday's "Tonight Show," the first show taped since the late-night program had to lay off roughly two dozen employees and Leno himself took a pay cut. Leno kicked off the program telling the audience, "Welcome to 'The Tonight Show,' or as Comcast calls us, 'The Expendables!'" He continued, "As you may have heard, our parent company has downsized 'The Tonight Show.' And we've been consistently No. 1 in the ratings.