Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsContest
IN THE NEWS

Contest

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 4, 2014 | By Mark Kellam
A Doritos commercial starring and cowritten by a Burbank resident was a cowinner of an annual contest sponsored by the snack company and it aired during the Super Bowl on Sunday. The ad follows a boy who has created a time machine as he tricks a neighbor, played by Burbank resident Daved Wilkins, into entering the contraption in a ploy to steal his Doritos. When the machine "takes off" using simple maneuvers created by the boy, Wilkins believe he's being transported into the future, the Burbank Leader reported . Wilkins worked on the 30-second spot with two longtime friends Ryan Thomas Andersen and Raj Suri, both of whom live in Phoenix.
Advertisement
ENTERTAINMENT
August 29, 2012 | By David Ng
Plácido Domingo will create his 140th operatic role when he debuts next month in Verdi's "The Two Foscari" at Los Angeles Opera. To note the occasion, the company is hosting a Twitter contest in which it will give away a performance package that includes two orchestra tickets. L.A. Opera is asking contestants to tweet a description of an operatic character that Domingo has played using 140 characters or less. Entries must include the hashtag #PD140.   The winning contestant, decided by L.A. Opera, will win two orchestra tickets for opening night, a pair of backstage passes to meet the cast and a pair of tickets for the opening-night party.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 13, 2013 | By Alicia Banks
A mother who got into a fight with two special education teachers at a Los Angeles middle school was sentenced Friday to 180 days in jail, authorities said. Kiki Lolita Fowler, 34, pleaded no contest to one count of battery on a school employee in the March incident at John Muir Middle School. She will serve 180 days in jail, serve three years of formal probation and one year of anger management sessions. As part of her probation, the court ordered Fowler to stay away from both teachers and the South L.A. school grounds.
NATIONAL
November 26, 2012 | By Michael Muskal
A Florida man who collapsed after winning a bug-eating contest accidentally choked to death on the cockroaches he gobbled down, the Broward County Medical Examiner's Office announced Monday. Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach won the eating contest at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach on Oct. 6. He then began to retch violently and collapsed, raising questions about how he died and whether he had been poisoned by what he had eaten. In a posting on its website, the medical examiner's office said the death was accidental and ruled out poisoning.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 30, 2013 | By Andrew Blankstein
A veteran Los Angeles police officer pleaded no contest to sexually molesting one girl and attempting to molest a second after luring them to his home, authorities said Tuesday. Miguel Angel Schiappapietra Jr., 28, pleaded no contest in a downtown courtroom to two felonies--one count of a lewd act on a child under 14 years of age and one count of an attempted lewd act on a child under 14 years of age. The officer is due back in court Sept. 6  and is expected to be sentenced by Judge Michael Abzug to three years in state prison and ordered to register as a sex offender.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 28, 2011 | By Steve Chawkins, Los Angeles Times
In yet another sign of hard times, officials are looking to a contest sponsored by Coca-Cola for funds to keep a popular coastal park open. Without $500,000 to replace an aging sewer line, McGrath State Beach, a camping spot just down the coast from Ventura Harbor, will shut down after Labor Day . With less than two weeks left and no check in hand, local and state officials on Friday urged people to head for livepositively.com ...
ENTERTAINMENT
June 18, 2013 | By Julie Makinen
SHANGHAI - When you're competing for a role in a Hollywood blockbuster against 70,000 other people, the gloves have to come off. Or in Ludi Lin's case, on. Given the chance for some major media exposure at the Shanghai International Film Festival, the muscular 28-year-old fledgling actor didn't hesitate. He donned a gray tank top, a jaunty charcoal vest - and a matching pair of stretchy, long fingerless gloves that stopped halfway between his elbow and his armpit. Left bare: just his rounded deltoids and bulging biceps and triceps.
BUSINESS
March 6, 2014 | By Salvador Rodriguez
Oscar Mayer has created an iPhone dongle that functions as an alarm clock by producing the smell of bacon in the morning. But to get one, users will have to enter a contest. The meat company this week began promoting its Wake Up & Smell the Bacon iPhone app. On its own, the alarm clock app works by making sizzling sounds like the ones you hear when cooking bacon.  PHOTOS: 10 ways to use the sharing economy But users who win one of the bacon-smell inducing iPhone dongles will be able to use the app to wake up to both the sound and smell of bacon.
BUSINESS
January 21, 2014 | By Stuart Pfeifer
Think you can guess the winners of all 67 games in this spring's NCAA men's basketball championship tournament? Warren Buffett is betting a fortune that you can't. The Omaha investing guru is insuring a Quicken Loans promotion that will award $1 billion (yes, with a B) to anyone who can correctly guess the winners of every game of this spring's NCAA men's basketball championship tournament. PHOTOS: Top 10 Southern California companies Detroit-based Quicken, the nation's fourth-largest mortgage lender, and Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway will pay the prize in 40 annual installments of $25 million.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 8, 2014 | By Robert J. Lopez
A retired Los Angeles County Fire Department captain pleaded no contest to child sex abuse charges, authorities said Wednesday evening. E dward John Cervantes, 62, of Whittier, was charged with committing a lewd act upon a child and continuous sexual abuse, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office said. He entered his plea during an arraignment Wednesday at the Pomona courthouse. Cervantes was arrested Sept. 19 after the victim told authorities she had been repeatedly molested when she was in the fifth and sixth grades.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|