Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsCosta Mesa Ca Transportation
IN THE NEWS

Costa Mesa Ca Transportation

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 20, 1991 | ERIC BAILEY
A traffic bottleneck should be eased today as state transportation officials reopen a section of southbound Newport Boulevard that had been limited to one lane for construction work on the Costa Mesa Freeway. Authorities said all three southbound lanes were to be open by 5 a.m. between Victoria and 19th streets. In recent months, a flood of cars from the freeway had combined with traffic headed south on Newport Boulevard to create monumental tie-ups where the road funneled down to just one lane.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 21, 1990 | ERIC BAILEY
As one of this city's founding fathers and a councilman for 16 years, Robert M. Wilson is intimately familiar with "the ditch." Wilson watched with pleasure in the mid-1970s as lumbering bulldozers began slicing the deep chasm in the earth that would be necessary to allow the Costa Mesa Freeway to reach the sea. He grimaced when state money dried up and the earth movers fled, leaving the ditch to the weeds and the field mice.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 5, 1993 | LYNDA NATALI
The good news is that three of the city's major street repair jobs are finished. The bad news is that three more still need to be completed. Since January, residents have endured traffic jams, closed streets and detours as nearly every major thoroughfare in town undergoes extensive repairs. As of this month, half of the rehabilitation projects have been completed, making it smooth sailing on Adams Avenue, Victoria Street and Fairview Road.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 28, 1998 | JOHN CANALIS
Overnight parking outside two mobile home parks on Old Newport Boulevard was restricted last week in response to complaints from merchants and residents who said people were sleeping in their cars. The City Council banned parking between 15th and 17th streets from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. Residents of the El Nido and Snug Harbor trailer parks who obtain permits may still park overnight. Passes will be available for guests of park residents.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 28, 1995 | MIMI KO CRUZ
Developers will install a traffic signal at the entrance to the new Metro Pointe Shopping Center under construction on South Coast Drive, despite opposition from residents who live nearby. Residents of the Greenbrook neighborhood complained about the signal, saying it would be too close to Greenbrook Drive and create safety problems by causing traffic backups that would block access to South Coast Drive.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 27, 1995 | TOM RAGAN
The Planning Commission tonight will consider approving four-way stop signs at Baker and Labrador streets. Citizens have complained about motorists traveling at excessive speeds through the intersection, and this is not the first time the city has contemplated installing stop signs there. In 1987 and 1991, the city's Transportation Commission, after reviewing traffic accidents in the area, concluded that there were not enough of them to warrant the stop signs.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 14, 1991 | MARY ANNE PEREZ
Responding to pleas from business owners along Newport Boulevard, the city recently agreed to install $5,000 worth of signs telling drivers that the businesses are still open during construction. The signs add to the steps store owners have taken since construction began in September, including offering coupons, special sales, delivery service and other promotions. Still, they say the construction, coupled with the downturn in the economy, has hit their businesses extra hard this winter.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 22, 1991 | MARY ANNE PEREZ
Bowing to residents' concerns, the City Council will ask the county to rescind plans to build two bridges linking the city's west side to Huntington Beach and Fountain Valley. West side residents have expressed opposition to proposed bridges over the Santa Ana River at 19th Street and Gisler Avenue because of a potential increase in traffic to their neighborhoods.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 7, 1998 | JOHN CANALIS
Emergency repairs to a sinkhole on Harbor Boulevard at Wilson Street are nearly complete. During rainstorms on Dec. 6, a 27-by-85-foot hole developed under the left-turn lane at the intersection. The hole caused the closure of the turn lane and one other lane. City Manager Allan L. Roeder ordered the repairs Dec. 26 and hired a Long Beach company. Crews pumped more than 10 cubic yards of sand and cement into the hole to fill it. On Monday, the City Council approved $33,000 for the project.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|