Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsCosta Mesa
IN THE NEWS

Costa Mesa

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 15, 2013 | By Lauren Williams and Joseph Serna
A man who apparently blew himself up with explosives in his Costa Mesa home was known to record video of his neighbors from his property, prompting calls to police from residents, authorities said Monday. Neighbors described Kevin Harris, 52, as odd but harmless with a history of mental illness. They made a point to walk at a brisk pace past his house, which was wrapped in foil, neighbors told The Times. Cryptic notes would appear, taped to a tree in the front yard. A neighbor showed The Times one such note taped to the tree Saturday morning.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 15, 2013 | By KTLA
An investigation is underway in Costa Mesa after a man blew himself up inside his home in an apparent suicide, police said. The incident began Sunday evening, when neighbors said the man who owned the home in the 3100 block of Bermuda Drive was laying down on his front lawn, KTLA reported . An ambulance was called, but the man refused to go to the hospital and instead went back to the house, officials said. About an hour or two later, between 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m., there was an explosion, police said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 12, 2013 | By Lauren Williams
Costa Mesa police continued their search Friday for a gunman suspected of firing three shots at a father and his 6-year-old son as they walked down Victoria Street, police said. The man fired the shots from a black Honda Accord with dark rear windows about 1:30 p.m. Thursday, according to the Costa Mesa Police Department. As the man and his son walked along Victoria near Puente Avenue, the driver of the Accord pointed a small handgun at the pair, who dropped to the ground and heard three gunshots, police said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2013 | By Lauren Williams and Jeremiah Dobruck
Costa Mesa schools were hit by a second incident of students becoming sick after eating pot-laced brownies at school. Three TeWinkle Middle School students were hospitalized for observation Wednesday after eating a pot brownie. This incident is unrelated to a similar situation at Pomona Elementary School last month when a student brought a brownie containing pot to school and was later arrested, officials said. Two seventh-graders went to the TeWinkle front office at 12:40 p.m., complaining of stomach issues, Newport-Mesa Unified School District spokeswoman Laura Boss said.
NEWS
April 9, 2013 | By Mary Forgione, Los Angeles Times Daily Travel & Deal blogger
Arthur Frommer , speaking at the Los Angeles Times Travel Show in February, predicted this travel trend for 2013: pot tours, particularly after Colorado and Washington state legalized small amounts of marijuana last November. Sure enough, the World Canabis Week , set for April, has already sold out. My 420 Tours (4/20 being a stoner holiday for reasons too complicated and murky to go into here) promised travelers coming to Denver that they would experience activities "100% legal under Colorado law. " The tour includes an airport pickup to a "420 friendly hotel" as well as sampling cannabis, happy hour parties, concert and admission to the High Times Cannabis Cup on April 20 and 21. About 200 people bought packages, some ranging from $499 for three days to $850 for five days.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 29, 2013 | By Lauren Williams, Times Community News
Costa Mesa police have arrested two suspected gang members who allegedly followed a man off a bus, chased him down Harbor Boulevard and then assaulted him, authorities said Friday. Zachariah Acosta, 21, of La Habra, and Arturo Gonzalez, 20, of Anaheim, allegedly confronted a 25-year-old Costa Mesa man about 7:30 p.m. March 15 on an Orange County Transportation Authority bus as it traveled through Costa Mesa, according to police. When the man got off the bus near Harbor and Bay Street, the assailants followed him. One suspect assaulted the man with his fists, while the other brandished a gun, police said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 24, 2013 | By Lauren Williams
A swarm of bees attacked three workers at a golf course in Costa Mesa, authorities said Sunday. Responding firefighters used foam to disperse the bees that attacked the workers who were suspended in a lift about 40 to 50 feet above the ground to work on a tower, according to the fire department. The incident occurred at about 2:30 p.m. The workers suffered multiple bee stings. They were treated and taken to a hospital.  A bee company crew responded to the scene and was able to spray the hive using a ladder.  ALSO: Hiker killed at Eaton Canyon was 17-year-old girl Pain doctor's office raided in prescription drug abuse probe Bauhaus rocker Peter Murphy denies he was drunk when arrested lauren.williams@latimes.com
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 24, 2013 | By Jack Dolan
A man walked into a Costa Mesa nail salon about noon Sunday, doused himself in flammable liquid and set himself on fire, police said. A woman from whom the man had been estranged, either his wife or his girlfriend, was inside the salon at the time, according to a Costa Mesa police spokesman. Someone grabbed a fire extinguisher and doused the flames and the man was rushed to a nearby hospital, police said. The man was not immediately identified by authorities, and there was no word on his condition Sunday evening.
ENTERTAINMENT
March 19, 2013 | By Mark Swed, Los Angeles Times Music Critic
The spirit of the St. Louis Symphony, until now, hasn't seemed quite able to handle head winds. The orchestra, which was transformed under music director David Robertson from the dull and dispirited ensemble he took over in 2005 into one of America's most imaginative, travels often enough to New York (and has toured Europe) with exciting, quirky programs. Meanwhile, Robertson, a Malibu native, spends quality time on the West Coast as an enthusiastically intrepid regular guest conductor of the Los Angeles Philharmonic (where he returns next month)
BUSINESS
February 3, 2013 | By Roger Vincent
Nonprofit medical provider MemorialCare Health System will move its headquarters from Fountain Valley to Costa Mesa because it has acquired a 15-acre corporate campus near the 405 Freeway. MemorialCare will consolidate several teams now in other Southern California offices in 180,000 square feet at 1588 South Coast Drive, real estate brokerage Newmark Grubb Knight Frank said. Terms of the sale by a limited liability corporation were not disclosed, but real estate experts familiar with the Orange County market valued the deal at about $34 million.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|