May 8, 1999 |
The alleged leader of a Cuban spy ring was charged with conspiring to commit murder, the first criminal count filed in the deadly 1996 downing of four pilots by a Cuban warplane. An indictment unsealed in Miami alleges Gerardo Hernandez conspired with the Cuban military to provoke a violent confrontation with Brothers to the Rescue, an exile group that searches for Cuban refugees at sea. A Cuban fighter attacked two of the Brothers' planes over international waters in 1996.
September 12, 2006 |
A U.S. magistrate in El Paso recommended releasing a 79-year-old Cuban exile accused of violent acts against Fidel Castro's government, including a 1976 airliner bombing that killed 73 people. U.S. Magistrate Judge Norbert Garney said Luis Posada Carriles, a naturalized Venezuelan and former CIA operative, should be freed because the U.S. government had been unable to find within the time allowed a legally acceptable country willing to give him asylum if he were deported.
October 16, 2005 |
The parents of a 6-year-old Cuban boy who died while being smuggled to the United States were released by immigration officials to relatives. The couple, Julian Villasuso, 49, and Maizy Hurtado, 32, arrived in Key West late Friday after the speedboat they were in overturned as it was being chased by a Coast Guard cutter. Acting U.S. Atty. R.
July 23, 2005 |
The U.S. government has granted political asylum to 49 Cuban dancers, singers and musicians, the cast of the "Havana Night Club," who defected in November while performing at the Stardust Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, according to a representative for the company. The members of the Cuban musical revue had filed individual petitions for asylum in Las Vegas, where they have been performing since August.
August 6, 1994 |
Cuban President Fidel Castro threatened Friday to let Cubans leave without restriction for the first time since the 1980 Mariel exodus allowed about 120,000 Cubans to come to the United States. In an angry reaction to disturbances in Havana, Castro said Cuba could not continue to stop people from leaving while Washington encouraged them to leave illegally. Castro said hijackers killed two police officers while trying to seize a ferryboat to flee Thursday night.
September 25, 1993 |
A group of 72 Cubans who had occupied the Mexican Embassy in the Dominican Republic for the last eight days left the premises peacefully Friday, witnesses said. The Cubans, who are demanding help to travel to the United States, boarded two buses provided by the Dominican Republic to be taken to a government vacation center south of Santo Domingo, the capital.
November 22, 2001 |
Relatives of 30 Cubans whose vessel capsized in rough seas hoped desperately for encouraging news Wednesday as the Coast Guard found a boat but no survivors. Authorities said they found a capsized white, 30-foot twin-engine craft that may have been carrying the Cubans, including 12 or more children, on a clandestine trip to the United States. Family members of the Cubans said they left Cuba in a speedboat Friday and were expected in Florida by Saturday. "A lot could have happened.
November 30, 2002 |
Six Cubans found in a stranded boat were released to relatives Friday from U.S. immigration custody, including a 14-year-old boy authorities say is a material witness in the case against two alleged smugglers. The boat ran out of fuel Monday off Key West, Fla. The Coast Guard towed it to shore, unaware the six were hiding inside. The five adults scampered onto a dock. Cubans who make it to shore usually are allowed to stay in the U.S.
December 19, 1998 |
A boat carrying Cubans capsized in the choppy Atlantic, killing eight people and leaving at least four missing Friday in what investigators said appeared to be the deadliest immigrant-smuggling attempt ever off the Florida coast. The 30-foot boat went down Thursday off Elliott Key, about 30 miles from Miami, in waves up to 6 feet. At least 21 people were aboard. A freighter rescued nine people, including at least two children.
December 21, 1998 |
Two men have been arrested in connection with the capsizing that left 14 Cubans feared drowned in the deadliest immigrant smuggling disaster in Florida waters, officials said Sunday. Keith Roberts, assistant chief of the U.S. Border Patrol's Miami Sector, said Francisco Gomez, 34, the boat's owner, and Pedro Julio Guevara, 32, both Florida residents, were arrested on charges of trying to smuggle the Cubans into the United States after the speedboat was found capsized south of Miami on Friday.