Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsDocument
IN THE NEWS

Document

TRAVEL
March 4, 2013 | By Catharine Hamm, Los Angeles Times, This post has a correction. See below for details
Question: My girlfriend lost her passport on March 17 on a United Airlines flight. Someone in United's customer service team called on April 10 and left me a voicemail saying they had it. I accidentally deleted the voicemail. Since then she has called multiple times and sent emails to the customer service team. Is there any way you can help? David Sudolsky Huntington Beach Answer: Help find out what happened, yes. Help get the passport back? Probably not. When you lose a passport - and about 325,000 were reported lost or stolen last year, according to the U.S. State Department - an airline will try to find the owner, and United did. United rep Charles Hobart said it contacted Sudolsky's girlfriend (the ill-starred phone call)
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 27, 1985 | From United Press International
Former FBI Agent Richard W. Miller had secret FBI documents in his bedroom dresser the week before he became the only agent ever charged with espionage, according to trial testimony Monday. FBI Agent Douglas Moke, who helped search Miller's Lynwood home last fall, testified that he found a 12-page document titled, "Reporting Guidance: Foreign Intelligence Information," and a one-page document called, "Development of Counterintelligence Awareness."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 22, 1987 | JIM SCHACHTER, Times Staff Writer
The defense for suspected police killer Sagon Penn moved a giant step closer Wednesday to being permitted to use an 8 1/2-year-old Police Academy transcript as evidence in Penn's retrial when the judge in the case ruled the document was relevant. Defense attorney Milton J. Silverman, who repeatedly has been rebuffed in his efforts to get the document before a jury since it surfaced during Penn's first trial last year, now must persuade San Diego County Superior Court Judge J.
BUSINESS
May 23, 1987 | KATHRYN HARRIS, Times Staff Writer
A Delaware judge ruled Friday that Warner Communications must turn over a sealed report of an internal probe to Chris-Craft Chairman Herbert J. Siegel, who controls a 17% voting stake in Warner and serves on the Warner board. With the ruling, Siegel appears to win the most recent round in his long-running feud with Warner. But Warner Vice President Geoffrey W.
WORLD
July 7, 2011 | Molly Hennessy-Fiske
The questioner reads evenly from a script. "Please give me your name and your age. " "My name is Sameh Eldesoky and I am 21 years old. " Eldesoky sits back, hands on his knees, trying to relax, trying to forget that a tiny microphone is clamped to the front of his shirt. "When and how did you first hear about the demonstrations of Jan. 25?" "Through Facebook and friends. " "Had you been involved in demonstrations before or political organizing?" asks the interviewer, a young woman with a soft, soothing voice.
NATIONAL
April 11, 2010 | By Andrew Zajac and David S. Cloud, Reporting from Washington
A newly declassified document has added to long-standing questions about whether Henry Kissinger, while secretary of State, halted a U.S. plan to curb a secret program of international assassinations by South American dictators. The document, a set of instructions cabled from Kissinger to his top Latin American deputy, ended efforts by U.S. diplomats to warn the governments of Chile, Uruguay and Argentina against involvement in the covert plan known as Operation Condor, according to Peter Kornbluh, an analyst with the National Security Archive, a private research organization that uncovered the document and made it public Saturday.
NEWS
April 4, 2002 | BOB DROGIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
U.S. officials said Wednesday that they were unable to confirm the authenticity of a so-called terror invoice that Israel says its troops found when they stormed the West Bank headquarters of Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat. The Bush administration, desperately seeking a means to defuse the mounting Mideast crisis, thus sought to avoid becoming embroiled in a hotly debated sideshow to the bloodletting on the ground.
NATIONAL
January 14, 2014 | By Richard A. Serrano
WASHINGTON - The alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks has written a rambling, deeply religious manifesto that suggests Muslims should not use violence to spread Islam - a sharp departure from his earlier boasts of waging violent jihad against the U.S. and other non-Muslim nations. The unclassified comments by Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, who will soon turn 50 and who has spent the last decade in U.S. custody, come a year and a half into the pretrial phase of his military commission trial.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|