March 27, 2012 |
PHOENIX -- Jerry Sands was optioned to minor-league camp Tuesday morning, taking him out of contention to win a bench spot on the opening-day roster. Sands, 24, entered spring training as the favorite to claim the one available reserve role. A former organizational minor league player of the year, Sands hit .253 with four home runs and 26 runs batted in in 61 games last season. He was particularly effective in September, hitting .342 in 20 games. His September form raised hopes that he could replace Andre Ethier in the outfield or James Loney at first base on days the Dodgers faced a left-handed pitcher.
January 22, 2012 |
Who's the front-runner in the Dodgers' ownership sweepstakes? It is impossible to say, since not all bidders have been identified publicly and mystery billionaires could be lurking. With opening bids due Monday, here's a look at prospective bidders who have been identified publicly: Magic Johnson/Stan Kasten: Championships in L.A.: Magic 5, Dodgers 5. Joe Torre/Rick Caruso: They're using money from banker most trusted by Warren Buffett. Steven Cohen/Arn Tellem: Cohen could buy Dodgers for $2 billion, still have $6 billion in net worth.
March 26, 2012 |
PHOENIX -- Ted Lilly reported improvement in his stiff neck Monday, but acknowledged he would probably have to miss his scheduled start Tuesday. “Today, I feel quite a bit better,” Lilly said. “I'm still not to where I'm confident that I'd be able to go out there tomorrow and not regress.” He said he isn't concerned that he might have to postpone his first start of the regular season. “It's getting better,” he said. If Lilly is unable to pitch in the series-opening, four-game series in San Diego, No. 5 pitcher Chris Capuano would probably pitch in the series.
August 25, 2012 |
The Dodgers and Boston Red Sox have completed a blockbuster trade in which four-time All-Star Adrian Gonzalez lands in Los Angeles, the latest example of the Dodgers' new ownership group investing heavily in a win-now approach. Even though the possibility had been hinted at in recent days -- and was all but finished by game time Friday night -- the acquisition by the Dodgers of the Red Sox first baseman was a stunning development. The deal: The Dodgers acquired Gonzalez, pitcher Josh Beckett, injured outfielder Carl Crawford and utilityman Nick Punto in exchange for first baseman James Loney and four prospects.
April 6, 2013 |
Most of the changes brought on by the Dodgers' new ownership group have been flashy, headline-grabbing. From a record baseball payroll to over $100 million in stadium improvements, the changes were designed to grab attention and inspire renewed belief in a beleaguered franchise. Just not all of the changes. One has been done so quietly as to not even be noticed. There was no announcement, no obscure press release, no real mention of it. The Dodgers have revamped their charity wing, largely divorcing themselves from the foundations associated with ex-owner Frank McCourt.
January 27, 2012 |
The owner of the reigning NBA champions will not be the next owner of the Dodgers. Mark Cuban was eliminated from the Dodgers' ownership sweepstakes Friday, along with baseball executive and former agent Dennis Gilbert, according to two people familiar with the process but not authorized to discuss it. At least eight bidders advanced to the second round Friday, including a group led by Magic Johnson and veteran baseball executive Stan Kasten...
February 22, 2012 |
Peter O'Malley has withdrawn his bid to buy the Dodgers, two people familiar with the sale process said Tuesday. The decision means the O'Malley family will not reclaim the stewardship of the team that it owned for nearly half a century, a span during which the Dodgers won all six of their World Series championships. O'Malley declined to comment. The people who confirmed the decision were not authorized to discuss it publicly. Backed in part by the South Korean conglomerate E-Land, O'Malley was one of 11 bidders to survive the first cut. Blackstone Advisory Partners, the investment bank handling the Dodgers sale for owner Frank McCourt, has asked the remaining bidders to submit revised offers this week.
January 31, 2009
There isn't much of a choice here. Either Ned Colletti is a complete joke as a GM or Dodgers ownership is following the Donald Sterling model instead of Dr. Buss. Chances are, it's a little of both. How could Colletti say with a straight face that he would be comfortable with a starting lineup that includes Juan Pierre instead of Manny Ramirez? How can he look season-ticket holders in the eyes and tell them that signing either Braden Looper, Jon Garland, Dennys Reyes, Luis Ayala or Randy Wolf (a bust two years ago)
March 21, 2012 |
Orel Hershiser and Steve Garvey joined forces in a Dodgers bidding group that had plenty of star power but not enough money. Hershiser and Garvey failed to survive the first cut in the Dodgers' ownership sweepstakes. On a conference call to promote his ESPN Sunday night baseball broadcasts, Hershiser said his group did not have the resources to compete at the $1.5 billion range. "I think that we were knocked out at our $1.2 billion range. And then we weren't really able to go any higher," Hershiser said Wednesday, according to a transcript provided by ESPN.