Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsDrive By Shootings Los Angeles County
IN THE NEWS

Drive By Shootings Los Angeles County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 19, 1997 | ANDREW BLANKSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Five reputed members of a Southeast Asian gang accused of seven killings and a host of other violent crimes in the San Fernando and San Gabriel valleys since 1995 pleaded not guilty Wednesday. Known as the "Asian Boyz," the gang with 300 members in California primarily targeted rival Asian gang members but also chose their victims among the Southeast Asian community, authorities alleged. "They were a violent, sophisticated criminal street gang," LAPD Det.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 29, 1994
A record 218 gang killings occurred in 1994 in areas patrolled by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, erasing the record of 207 set in 1991, Sheriff Sherman Block said Wednesday. Latino gang killings were up and constituted about 75% of all such killings, Block said. Gang murders among black youths dropped to 50, he said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 22, 1991 | LESLIE BERGER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In the county's third incident of its kind this week, a 13-year-old Pacoima boy described as an innocent victim was critically wounded during a drive-by shooting late Tuesday as he mingled with older youths in a gang. Eddie Perez, who was listed in critical condition Wednesday at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, had been standing in a driveway with members of a Pacoima street street gang on Tuesday night when a single shot fired from a speeding car struck him in the head.
SPORTS
April 25, 1996 | CHRIS FOSTER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Michael Graham, considered among the top high school running backs in the nation, was sentenced to three years in state prison Wednesday for his role in a drive-by shooting. Graham, 18, and Eric Williams, 19, had been charged with attempted murder but were sentenced Wednesday in Pasadena Superior Court by Judge Janice Croft after pleading guilty to lesser charges. Graham pleaded guilty to assault with a firearm.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 24, 1992 | DENISE HAMILTON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Violence carved a bloody trail through Los Angeles over the weekend, leaving at least 21 people dead and 24 wounded in what is traditionally the hottest, most murderous month of the year. The dead included an off-duty police detective who apparently was shot by a prowler in a Palms back yard and a Little League coach who was killed near an Eagle Rock ball field as children played.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 9, 1992 | STACY WONG, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Gunfire at a Bloods and Crips unification meeting in South El Monte left three young men critically wounded Saturday, leading authorities to wonder if there are cracks developing in the fragile, three-month truce between the warring gangs.
NEWS
August 25, 1992 | JESSE KATZ, This story was reported by Times staff writers Leslie Berger, Ashley Dunn, Scott Harris, Jesse Katz, Hector Tobar, Richard Simon and Amy Wallace. It was written by Katz.
Even on the best days, when the smog clears and the palm trees beckon, Los Angeles is a brutal place. Last year, 2,401 corpses were wheeled into the county coroner's office--an average of 6.6 a day--with bullet holes, knife wounds, shattered skulls or some other signature of homicide.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 28, 1992
A 16-year-old boy died Saturday after being wounded in a suspected gang-related shooting in the Walnut Park area, sheriff's deputies said. The boy, whose name was withheld, died about 7:15 a.m. at Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center after he was shot inside a car at 10 p.m. Friday at Compton Avenue and 83rd Street, said Sgt. Ron Spear of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 29, 1994 | PHIL SNEIDERMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Drive-by vandals went on an overnight window-smashing spree in the Antelope Valley, damaging about 100 businesses, vehicles and houses in Palmdale, Lancaster and Quartz Hill, sheriff's deputies said Monday. Calls from people whose windows had been shattered, apparently by one or more BB guns fired from a moving vehicle, began at 9 p.m. Sunday and continued well into the next day, deputies said. "We're still interviewing victims," Sheriff's Sgt. Bob Denham said Monday afternoon.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 24, 1996
Santa Monica police arrested two men Monday after a car-to-car shooting last weekend that left one man dead and another in critical condition, police said. Caesar Martin, 19, of Culver City was driving with companions shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday when he was fatally shot in the back by a gunman in a passing car, said Sgt. Gary Gallinot. Fellow passenger Eric Huizar, 20, of Inglewood remains in critical condition with several bullet wounds to his upper body.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|