Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsDrive By Shootings Los Angeles County
IN THE NEWS

Drive By Shootings Los Angeles County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 5, 1997
A 30-year-old Moreno Valley man was killed in a drive-by shooting late Saturday in Hawaiian Gardens, a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman said. The incident occurred about 11 p.m. as Demario Young was standing near the rear of his car at 216 Street and Belshire Avenue. A passenger in a passing car opened fire, shooting Young in the upper part of the body, authorities said.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 30, 1997
Two men were shot and killed by gunfire from a passing car as they sat in a parked car in Pomona, police said Saturday. Billy Caldwell III, 22, and Clarence Banks, 35, both of Pomona, were hit by gunfire as they were sitting in a car parked in the 1800 block of Waters Street, police said. Several neighbors heard the shots and called police. Both men were pronounced dead at the scene, Pomona Police Sgt. Ronald McDonald said. Police said they had no suspects and did not know the motive.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 6, 1997 | FRANK B. WILLIAMS
Two teenagers were still in critical condition Sunday after being wounded in a drive-by shooting. Det. Rich Householder of the LAPD's North Hollywood station said the two youths were walking in the 10800 block of Strathern Street on Friday just after 10:30 p.m. A car drove up and the men inside began firing, Householder said. The car sped off, but both boys were seriously injured and taken to local hospitals. Householder said officers believe the shooting was gang-related.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 20, 1996 | JOSE CARDENAS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A 19-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy were hospitalized in serious condition after being shot in a drive-by shooting Tuesday, according to authorities. A third victim suffered minor injuries, said Jason Lee, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department. The identities of the victims were not available late Tuesday, he said. He said no arrests had been made but police were looking for a white van. "We don't have further description," of the vehicle or possible suspects, he said.
NEWS
August 4, 1996 | NORA ZAMICHOW, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Drive-by gang shootings, one of Los Angeles' most notorious legacies, are giving way to a more accurate form of murder: "up close and personal" homicides, in which a gun is fired at close range, law enforcement officials say. This year's estimated 20% decline in drive-bys in the county springs not from law enforcement efforts, but from a decree against such shootings issued by the Mexican Mafia crime syndicate three years ago, experts say.
SPORTS
April 25, 1996 | CHRIS FOSTER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Michael Graham, considered among the top high school running backs in the nation, was sentenced to three years in state prison Wednesday for his role in a drive-by shooting. Graham, 18, and Eric Williams, 19, had been charged with attempted murder but were sentenced Wednesday in Pasadena Superior Court by Judge Janice Croft after pleading guilty to lesser charges. Graham pleaded guilty to assault with a firearm.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 26, 1996
Los Angeles County sheriff's investigators said Thursday that the nephew of Los Angeles County Supervisor Gloria Molina who was wounded in a Pico Rivera drive-by shooting is an admitted gang member. Frank Diaz, 17, was shot in the abdomen Wednesday afternoon while walking near Lochalene Avenue and Balfour Street shortly after 1 p.m. Wednesday, said Sgt. Bob Hanley of the sheriff's Operation Safe Streets gang unit in Pico Rivera.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 25, 1996
A teen-age nephew of Los Angeles County Supervisor Gloria Molina was shot and critically wounded as he walked along a street near his home Wednesday afternoon in Pico Rivera, Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies said. The victim, Frank Diaz, 17, was taken to County-USC Medical Center, where he underwent surgery for a bullet wound to the chest. "He was walking along the street at Lochalene Avenue and Balfour Street when someone in a blue car fired a shot at him," said Lt.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 24, 1996
Santa Monica police arrested two men Monday after a car-to-car shooting last weekend that left one man dead and another in critical condition, police said. Caesar Martin, 19, of Culver City was driving with companions shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday when he was fatally shot in the back by a gunman in a passing car, said Sgt. Gary Gallinot. Fellow passenger Eric Huizar, 20, of Inglewood remains in critical condition with several bullet wounds to his upper body.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 6, 1995
Compton authorities charged two suspects with first-degree murder Tuesday in the shooting deaths of three friends who were preparing for a night of roller skating. Authorities say Cortez Elliott, 18, and Alfred Eugene Shallowhorn, 28, both of Compton, opened fire on the three victims Saturday night because they mistook them for rival gang members. The two, who were arrested hours after the drive-by shooting, are believed to be the gunmen.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|