February 28, 2014 |
Philip Seymour Hoffman died accidentally of acute drug intoxication, New York officials announced Friday. Hoffman, an Oscar-winning actor as well as a producer and director, was found in his Manhattan apartment Feb. 2. Drugs, including heroin, were found on the scene. In an email, the office of New York's chief medical examiner confirmed that Hoffman, who had battled addiction, had died from “acute mixed drug intoxication” with substances including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamines.
September 30, 2009 |
Celebrity disc jockey and Los Angeles club owner Adam Goldstein -- better known by his professional alias, DJ AM -- died of an overdose of cocaine and prescription drugs, the New York medical examiner ruled Tuesday. "The cause of death was accidental drug overdose due to the combined effects of cocaine, Vicodin, oxycodone, Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax, Benadryl and levamisole," said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the New York medical examiner. Levamisole is a medication drug dealers cut cocaine with prior to selling it on the street.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 30, 2010 |
A 15-year-old girl died Tuesday of a suspected drug overdose after attending a rave over the weekend at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum that had a minimum age requirement of 16. The girl, identified by family members as Sasha Rodriguez, was one of two rave attendees who were in critical condition at California Hospital Medical Center after the 14th annual Electric Daisy Carnival. As Sasha's family decided whether to remove her from life support Tuesday, her mother, Grace Rodriguez, told the CBS Evening News: "I was supposed to be planning her Sweet Sixteen party.
December 28, 1991 |
Gov. David Walters' 20-year-old son has died, 11 days after taking an overdose of a prescription drug, a hospital spokesman said Friday. Shaun David Walters died Thursday night at Baptist Medical Center, where he had been in a coma since last week.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 19, 1995
A Pacific Palisades doctor found dead last month in the pool house of the Bel-Air home of prominent film producer Don Simpson died of an accidental drug overdose, a county coroner spokesman said Monday. Toxicology tests indicate that Stephen W. Ammerman, 44, died Aug. 15 from multiple drug intoxication after taking cocaine, morphine, Valium and an antidepressant drug called Venlafaxine.
August 12, 1995 |
When guards found Robert Brecheen groggy from a drug overdose in his cell, they rushed him to a hospital and had his stomach pumped. Then they brought him back to prison, strapped him on a gurney and executed him. "Certainly, there's irony," said Larry Fields, director of Oklahoma's Corrections Department. "But we're bound by the law, the same law that he violated." Under a 1986 U.S.