CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 29, 1999
Several students were sickened and one was briefly hospitalized after they inhaled fumes from a perfume mixture that an elementary school pupil brought to class, Los Angeles County fire officials said. Ten children were evacuated from two bungalow classrooms at Andres Duarte Elementary School after inhaling fumes from the mixture, said county fire dispatcher Art Marrujo. A county Fire Department hazardous-materials team was called to the school at 1433 Crestfield Drive shortly after 10:30 a.m.