Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsEbola Virus
IN THE NEWS

Ebola Virus

NEWS
December 30, 2001 | From Associated Press
Doctors confirmed Saturday that a 16-year-old boy has the Ebola virus and that another patient has symptoms of it, prompting fears that the deadly disease is continuing to spread in Central Africa. The boy was admitted last week at Makokou's hospital and tested for Ebola, which has killed 21 people in Gabon and the neighboring Republic of Congo, regional health director Prosper Abessolo Mengue said Saturday.
Advertisement
NEWS
December 21, 2001 | From Times Wire Reports
Despite stepped-up border controls, an outbreak of the deadly disease Ebola has spread from Gabon to the neighboring Republic of Congo, the World Health Organization and government officials said. Republic of Congo health officials have identified 11 cases in a remote region on the northwestern border with Gabon, where 16 cases have already been reported, WHO said in a statement released in Geneva. The Health Ministry confirmed the outbreak but said the number infected was fewer than 10.
NEWS
December 19, 2001 | From Times Wire Reports
An outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in Gabon's remote northeastern jungles appeared to be spreading as the death toll rose to 13. Health authorities have identified 19 suspected cases, World Health Organization spokesman Gregory Hartl said in Geneva. That is three more than Monday, when the death toll stood at 12.
NEWS
December 16, 2001
At least one more person has died of Ebola in the Central African nation of Gabon, bringing the death toll from an outbreak of the virus to 11, a World Health Organization spokesman said. Gregory Hartl, speaking by telephone from the WHO's headquarters in Geneva, said that three other people were known to be infected with the virus but that no other cases have been confirmed.
NEWS
December 11, 2001 | From Reuters
The government has cordoned off a remote forest village to stop an outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus that is believed to have killed at least 10 people in this equatorial African country, health authorities said Monday. "The zone is completely cordoned off," said Obame Edou, Gabon's assistant health director. "A team has left for the area today, and the government will not delay in releasing news on the epidemic."
NEWS
December 7, 2001 | From Times Wire Services
Medical experts from the World Health Organization flew to central Congo on Thursday to investigate the deaths of 17 people with Ebola-like symptoms, state radio said. The deaths began Nov. 17 in Dekese, a village about 450 miles east of Kinshasa, the capital, U.N. officials said. At least 30 people, including the 17 who died, exhibited symptoms similar to those associated with Ebola, said Auguy Ebeja, a physician with the aid group Doctors Without Borders.
NEWS
February 8, 2001 | From Times Wire Reports
A Congolese woman who arrived in Canada and fell ill does not have the Ebola virus as feared, and the danger of her sickness spreading is "minimal," health officials said after receiving test results. The woman's illness has alarmed some people since early this week, when doctors raised the possibility of Ebola and she was put into total isolation at Henderson General Hospital in Hamilton, Ontario. But health officials said at a news conference that she had tested negative for the deadly virus.
NEWS
February 7, 2001 | MAGGIE FARLEY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A woman who flew from Congo to Canada via the New York area is being tested for hemorrhagic viruses, including Ebola, after being hospitalized in Canada over the weekend with a mystery illness. The Congolese woman, who has not been identified, is being kept in isolation in a hospital in Hamilton, Ontario, and has been slipping in and out of consciousness since Sunday, doctors say.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|