Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsElectricity
IN THE NEWS

Electricity

BUSINESS
November 7, 1997 | John O'Dell
With California's bold move into deregulation of electric utilities less than two months off, a group of giant electricity users has banded together to form a nonprofit energy information and education association headquartered in Orange County. Right now, most information about energy policy and deregulation comes from the energy companies, said David Noller, president of the Institute for Multi-Site Energy Consumers.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 15, 2000 | DAVID REYES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Soaring electric bills for an estimated 100,000 south Orange County customers prompted two supervisors Monday to seek a countywide emergency declaration that would call on the governor for help. Supervisors Tom Wilson and Todd Spitzer, whose districts extend to the San Diego County border, will ask approval for the declaration at today's board meeting. San Diego County already has declared a state of emergency.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 18, 1997 | DEBRA CANO
A long-term agreement to provide electricity to the Disneyland Resort project at a discount will be considered by the City Council tonight. The city-owned Public Utilities Department has negotiated the agreement with the Walt Disney Co. to provide electric service at a discounted rate at least through 2005. After that, the agreement gives the city the first right of refusal through 2010 to match any offer that Disney receives from another electricity provider. Edward K.
NATIONAL
July 28, 2005 | From Times Wire Reports
On a day of near-record temperatures, New Yorkers crossed a historic threshold for electricity use. Con Edison, which has 3.1 million customers in the five boroughs and Westchester County, said it set a record for electric usage of 13,059 megawatts. The previous record was set the day before, when customers used 12,551 megawatts. "This is the first time we have ever gone over 13,000 in the 123-year history of Con Edison," utility spokesman Mike Clendenin said.
BUSINESS
April 29, 1985
The U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco upheld a Bonneville Power Administration policy that regulates the sale of power on the high-voltage Pacific Northwest-Southwest Intertie. That policy, which toughened regulations beginning last July, sparked a lawsuit against Bonneville, a federal agency, by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, a major buyer of surplus power on the intertie.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 25, 2000
Power was knocked out Monday afternoon to 4,200 residential and commercial customers in Oxnard, according to Southern California Edison officials. The cause of the outage was still unknown late Monday, but company spokesman Rudy Gonzales said power had been restored to all customers by 7:15 p.m. The affected area was south of Gonzales Road, north of Wooley Road, west of Oxnard Boulevard and east of Victoria Avenue. The power first failed about 3:12 p.m.
BUSINESS
August 15, 2006 | From Reuters
Southern California Edison on Monday issued a formal bid seeking as much as 1,500 megawatts of new electricity generation in a move to encourage power-plant construction in the West, the company said. The unit of Edison International said it wanted to purchase power under contracts of as long as 10 years in duration.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 5, 1997
Electricity rates for Pasadena residents will increase by more than 11.28% after the City Council on Monday gave final approval to the increase to pay off the city-owned utility's debt. The increase will go into effect in mid-December. The council's action ratifies a decision last week to opt for a rate increase to help pay off the utility's $156 million in debt by 2002. That year, customers will be able to choose power from any provider.
NEWS
December 23, 1997 | CHRIS KRAUL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The long-awaited Jan. 1 inauguration of California's deregulated power market was put on hold indefinitely Monday night because the computer system responsible for pricing and scheduling electricity deliveries around the state will not be ready.
BUSINESS
June 13, 2002 | From Bloomberg News
U.S. energy regulators approved a $300-million project to ease congestion on a California electric transmission route that's been blamed for some of the blackouts during the state's power crisis last year. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission said the project, announced by Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham in October, will bring more power to the northern part of the state.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|