January 23, 2009 |
An Army criminal investigator told the family of a Green Beret who was electrocuted while taking a shower at his base in Baghdad that the soldier's death was a case of "negligent homicide" by military contractor KBR and two of its supervisors. The report last month to the family of Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth said Houston-based KBR failed to make certain that qualified electricians and plumbers were working on the barracks where Maseth was killed a year ago, according to a U.S.
February 9, 2008 |
The Nebraska Supreme Court ruled that electrocution is cruel and unusual punishment, outlawing the electric chair in the only state using it as its sole means of execution. The state's death penalty remains legal, but another method must be approved. The evidence shows that electrocution inflicts "intense pain and agonizing suffering," the court said. "Condemned prisoners must not be tortured to death, regardless of their crimes," Justice William M. Connolly wrote in the 6-1 opinion.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 16, 2007 |
Authorities are investigating the death of a 23-year-old man who was electrocuted while hanging Christmas lights in this San Francisco Bay Area city. The man had climbed about 60 feet up a tree and was attempting to throw a string of lights onto difficult-to-reach branches when the accident occurred. Officials say he was electrocuted when the string of lights touched two power lines. When fire crews arrived Saturday, they found the man hanging about 60 feet above ground.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 6, 2007
A 49-year-old man was electrocuted while installing plastic water pipe under a house, a coroner's spokesman said Tuesday. Gilbert Alarcon was working at a residence on Amber Lantern on Monday when he apparently came into contact with a live wire and died at the scene, the spokesman said. He lived in Dana Point.
May 3, 2007 |
The Nebraska Supreme Court stayed an execution Wednesday over concerns about a new electrocution protocol in the only state that relies solely on the electric chair for capital punishment. Carey Dean Moore had been scheduled to die Tuesday for the 1979 murders of two Omaha cab drivers. The high court issued the stay after receiving a request for review of the protocol from state Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha. State Supreme Court Judge John Gerrard wrote that recent U.S.
May 6, 2006 |
A 14-year-old girl was electrocuted in a Baltimore city park after she leaned on a fence to stretch before a baseball game, fire officials said. Firefighters found a power line was sagging and had touched the fence that the girl leaned on, said Kevin Cartwright, a spokesman for the Baltimore Fire Department. At about 8 p.m., teammates saw the girl put her foot on the fence in Druid Hill Park and then fall to the ground, Cartwright said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 27, 2006 |
A 44-year-old Moreno Valley woman was electrocuted while repairing wires in a Riverside home Tuesday, authorities said. Independent contractor Debra Ann McCullah was working on the wiring in a small attic space when she was electrocuted at 6:37 p.m., said Steven Frasher, spokesman for the Riverside Police Department. Firefighters had to cut through the home's roof to reach her, Frasher said. McCullah was pronounced dead less than an hour later at Riverside Community Hospital.
February 26, 2006 |
On the shelves at Trixie & Peanut, a boutique in Manhattan, are indulgences for dog owners concerned with image: pink sequined tank tops, moss-green lizard-skin collars, rhinestone barrettes shaped like tiny bones. Then there are specialty products for a different kind of shopper: People who don't want their pet to be electrocuted.
October 31, 2005 |
A pastor performing a baptism was electrocuted in his Waco church after grabbing a microphone while standing in water, a church employee said. The Rev. Kyle Lake, 33, was in a baptismal at University Baptist Church when he was electrocuted, said Jamie Dudley, a church business administrator. Doctors in the congregation performed chest compressions, she said. Lake was taken by ambulance to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, where nursing supervisor Pat Mahl said he was pronounced dead.