Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsElectrocutions
IN THE NEWS

Electrocutions

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 9, 1996 | DANICA KIRKA and LISA LEFF, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Two men were electrocuted Monday morning when the equipment they were using to repair a faulty water well pump touched a 12,000-volt power line overhead, authorities said. The workers, both employees of American Water Well Service of Agua Dulce, apparently raised a 35-foot derrick into the electrical wires as they prepared to pull the pump from the ground, Los Angeles County Fire Department and coroner's officials said.
Advertisement
NEWS
March 12, 1996 | SCOTT HADLY, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
A 17-year-old high school student was in critical condition Monday after being shocked by 220,000 volts while trying to rappel off a tower carrying Southern California Edison power lines near the Conejo Grade of the Ventura Freeway. Michael Halsell received second- and third-degree burns over 70% to 80% of his body while standing on a narrow beam on the 175-foot-high tower.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 12, 1995 | KEN ELLINGWOOD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An owner of a Garden Grove house where a swimmer was electrocuted in the pool last year was indicted on a homicide charge Wednesday after authorities alleged he had ignored previous wiring problems. The Orange County Grand Jury charged John Whyte Wright, 58, of Westminster with involuntary manslaughter, which could mean up to four years in state prison if he is convicted in Orange County Superior Court. Wright said Wednesday that he had not known of the electrical problems at the pool.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 2, 1992 | VIVIEN LOU CHEN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A maintenance worker was electrocuted after he touched a bare wire inside a fluorescent sign he had been repairing for a recreational vehicle company, authorities said Saturday. The body of Scott Hamblin, 33, of Santa Ana was inside the giant sign at Camping World on South West Street for almost eight hours Friday before a co-worker was sent to check on him and found his body.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 27, 1998 | ANDREW BLANKSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A steel camera boom hit high-voltage power lines during filming of material for a Disney movie in the San Bernardino County desert, electrocuting one crew member and badly burning another. Mathew Gordy, 31, of Woodland Hills, was killed and 33-year-old David Riggio of Encino was in the Grossman Burn Center at Sherman Oaks Hospital, where he was listed in serious condition Thursday.
NATIONAL
February 26, 2006 | Ellen Barry, Times Staff Writer
On the shelves at Trixie & Peanut, a boutique in Manhattan, are indulgences for dog owners concerned with image: pink sequined tank tops, moss-green lizard-skin collars, rhinestone barrettes shaped like tiny bones. Then there are specialty products for a different kind of shopper: People who don't want their pet to be electrocuted.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 8, 1997 | JEFF LEEDS and KEVIN O'LEARY, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
As relatives and friends comforted one another after a hair dryer electrocuted two Lynwood girls playing in a bathtub, consumer safety experts said the tragedy could have been prevented with a simple, inexpensive device. Appliance manufacturers have made hair dryers nearly accident-proof in recent years, largely because of new standards that encourage--but don't require--equipping them with a device that stops the flow of current if a dryer is submerged in water, safety experts said.
NEWS
March 26, 1997 | MIKE CLARY, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
The perennial American debate over the cruelty or value of the death penalty surfaced anew here Tuesday after a gruesome electric chair execution in which flames leaped from the head of a convicted murderer after the switch was thrown. Pedro Medina, a 39-year-old Cuban immigrant, was pronounced dead at 7:10 a.m.
NATIONAL
February 1, 2004 | John J. Goldman, Times Staff Writer
The tragedy took place during a daily routine familiar to millions -- walking the family dog. Jodie S. Lane, 30, a doctoral student in clinical psychology at Columbia University Teachers College, never returned from exercising her pets. She was electrocuted after one of her two dogs stepped on the metal cover of a utility box on a street in Manhattan's East Village, and current surged through her.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 19, 1994 | KEN ELLINGWOOD
State investigators Monday began looking into the electrocution of a carnival worker at the Orange County Fair on Saturday. Safety officials closed the Gravitron ride, where Ron Vogt, 45, of Los Alamitos is believed to have touched an exposed wire while repairing failed lights late Saturday night. "We don't have any conclusions at this time," said Jim Brown, regional manager for Cal-OSHA's Anaheim office. "We've shut the ride down until we are satisfied it can be operated."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|