October 18, 1994
Elections Sunday in Spain's northern Basque region will test separatist sentiment and the strength of Prime Minister Felipe Gonzalez's flagging Socialist Party. The restive Basque area, one of 17 autonomous regions in post-Franco Spain, is home to ETA separatist terrorists whose drive for independence has claimed more than 700 lives in the last 25 years. In a seven-party race, ETA's political arm is battling to hold on to its 13 seats in the 75-member regional parliament.
July 13, 1997 |
A young Basque politician whose kidnapping by Basque separatists provoked widespread outrage among Spaniards died early today, hours after he was found on a roadside shot twice in the head. Miguel Angel Blanco had been dumped on a rural road Saturday afternoon. Earlier in the day, Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar led a demonstration of half a million people demanding his release.
July 17, 1997 |
The Basque regional government barred rallies by the political wing of the separatist guerrilla group ETA, fearing sectarian violence after the slaying of one politician and threats to kill another. Officials said they would not allow pro-ETA rallies planned this weekend for San Sebastian, a movement stronghold. Miguel Angel Blanco, 29, was kidnapped last Thursday by the ETA, or Basque Homeland and Freedom, and slain two days later. His death sparked massive protests.
July 28, 1997 |
Thousands of supporters of the Basque separatist group ETA marched in San Sebastian in their first large gathering since the nation spurned the group for killing a politician. The leaders of Herri Batasuna, the political wing of the ETA, led marchers through the streets of this Atlantic resort city as they shouted slogans in Basque supporting the ETA and independence from Spain.
September 30, 1990 |
Two suspected members of ETA (Basque Homeland and Freedom), which has killed more than 600 people in its 21-year-old fight for an independent Basque state, have been extradited from France, Spanish officials said Saturday.
January 30, 1988 |
Basque separatists responsible for the deaths of nearly 600 people since they took up arms nearly 20 years ago have offered to enter negotiations for a 60-day truce if the Spanish government agrees to resume peace talks, officials said Friday. The government rejected the offer. "With attacks, there will be no contacts," Government spokesman Javier Solana said. "We must not be fooled by maneuvers which may be propaganda . . . .