Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsEvacuation Order
IN THE NEWS

Evacuation Order

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
June 8, 1998 | RALPH VARTABEDIAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
U.S. military forces completed the evacuation of Americans from the beleaguered capital of Eritrea on Sunday as a top U.S. diplomat left Africa with the fighting between Eritrea and neighboring Ethiopia still out of control. Assistant Secretary of State Susan E. Rice departed Burkina Faso, where African leaders endorsed a proposed cease-fire agreement that U.S. officials hope will end the bombing raids and border skirmishes of recent days.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 2, 2014 | By Samantha Schaefer
Mandatory evacuations were lifted for Ridge View Drive in Azusa shortly before noon Sunday, authorities said. “City crews have been working diligently at removing the debris and mud which flowed onto Ridge View Drive,” according to a statement from the Azusa Police Department. “They will continue to work aggressively at returning the neighborhood to its normal condition.” On Saturday morning, a wave of mud from an unstable hillside surged over a retaining wall and buried the backyard of one house on Ridge View Drive while sending a river of mud and debris flowing down the street.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 2, 2014 | By Samantha Schaefer
Mandatory evacuations were lifted for Ridge View Drive in Azusa shortly before noon Sunday, authorities said. “City crews have been working diligently at removing the debris and mud which flowed onto Ridge View Drive,” according to a statement from the Azusa Police Department. “They will continue to work aggressively at returning the neighborhood to its normal condition.” On Saturday morning, a wave of mud from an unstable hillside surged over a retaining wall and buried the backyard of one house on Ridge View Drive while sending a river of mud and debris flowing down the street.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 28, 2014 | By Ari Bloomekatz
Authorities on Friday pleaded with Glendora residents to heed evacuation orders as the second of two winter storms continued to douse the region with more rain than the area has seen in years, sending mud and debris down hillside streets. Officials warned residents who chose to stay put -- as some have -- that if disaster struck they would have to hunker down and wait it out until it was safe for crews to come in and assist. "As long as the mud is flowing, we cannot go into moving mud and debris and risk our personnel," Steve Martin of the Los Angeles County Fire Department said at a news conference. "Understand this: If there is mud coming down, fire personnel cannot get to you. " About 1,000 homes are in the section affected by the Colby fire last month in Azusa and Glendora are covered by the mandatory evacuation order, issued amid fears that mud and debris could inundate them.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 18, 2014 | By Angel Jennings, Kate Mather and Irfan Khan
Residents living in the Mountain Cove community, who were forced to evacuate because of the Colby fire, will be allowed to return to their homes Saturday. A mandatory evacuation will be lifted at 6 p.m., according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.  However San Gabriel Canyon Road, which is located above the community, will remain closed. Officials cautioned returning residents to watch out for rocks falling on the roadway. The Colby fire burning near Glendora and Azusa has grown to more than 1,800 acres, but firefighters were hopeful that winds would remain calm Saturday as humidity levels rise, slowing the fire and allowing some evacuated residents to return home.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 6, 2008 | From the Associated Press
An evacuation order has been extended through today for dozens of residents chased from their homes after cars on a derailed train started leaking and spewing toxic fumes, fire officials said Wednesday. Capt. Fernando Herrera said hazardous material crews are working to remove the 29 train cars that derailed late Monday and haven't reached the tankers that spilled acid. Sixty residents in about 40 rural homes were evacuated after the 65-car train derailed in the agricultural community of Mecca.
NEWS
January 6, 1991
David O. Howard, owner of a 15-unit apartment building at 543 N. Raymond Ave., has appealed a city evacuation order. Howard's 48 tenants were moved out Dec. 21 after city officials cited fire and health code violations. Howard was ordered to repair the building before allowing tenants to move back. City officials also said they would seek reimbursement of tenant relocation expenses, which cost the city nearly $17,000.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 31, 2007 | Susannah Rosenblatt, Times Staff Writer
So much for the authority of local officials. Just half of Los Angeles County residents would immediately follow local government officials' instructions to evacuate if terrorists attacked, according to a report by the Department of Health Services to be released today. One-third of those surveyed said they would want more information before they complied with government orders to relocate to a nearby school during a terrorist attack.
NEWS
November 12, 1987 | JESSE KATZ, Times Staff Writer
The owner of the Fillmore apartment building that was condemned by city officials last month because of earthquake damage has filed a lawsuit charging that the Oct. 9 evacuation of the structure discriminated against the 100 mostly Latino residents who lived there. In his lawsuit against the city, Eric Marsh, who purchased the 59-year-old Fillmore Hotel earlier this year, is seeking unspecified damages and a court order allowing him to reopen the building.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 4, 2007 | James Ricci, Times Staff Writer
The reawakened Zaca fire northwest of Santa Barbara burned southeast Friday, prompting the mandatory evacuation of several neighborhoods and recreational sites. An evacuation warning issued about 2 p.m. by fire officials was replaced by an evacuation order two hours later as the 20-mile-long, 38,400-acre fire flared in the Los Padres National Forest. U.S. Forest Service spokesman Mike Ferris estimated that 500 to 800 people had evacuated or begun doing so.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 28, 2014 | By Rong-Gong Lin II
An unstable hillside in Azusa prompted police to order evacuations Friday evening of all 26 homes on Ridge View Drive in the Colby fire burn area. "The hillside is not stable," said Azusa police Sgt. Sam Fleming, adding there is already 2 to 3 feet of mud in the backyards of two homes on the street.  "Mud is extremely heavy, and people can get stuck real quick," Fleming said. "Should that hillside go, it's going to happen quickly. We're wanting to get as many people out quickly ... because there won't be a lot of time.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 28, 2014 | By Matt Stevens and Ari Bloomekatz
The city of Monrovia issued mandatory evacuation orders for about 200 homes Friday over fears that mud and debris flows could wipe out property. The evacuation orders were issued about 9:30 a.m. when the National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning, city spokeswoman Alexis Bakofsky said. The orders are in place for the following streets: Highland Place north of Hillcrest Boulevard Scenic Drive Lotone Street Heather Heights north of Scenic Drive Avocado Place 600 block of Hillcrest Boulevard 900 block of Crescent Drive Bakofsky stressed that the evacuations are mandatory and said police personnel were knocking on doors Friday afternoon.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 27, 2014 | By Joseph Serna, Kate Mather and Ari Bloomekatz
Fearing possible mudslides, Glendora and Azusa have issued mandatory evacuation orders for residents living in areas impacted by the Colby fire.In Glendora, residents north of Sierra Madre Avenue between Yucca Ridge Road and Glendora Mountain Road must evacuate. In Azusa, the order applies to residents on Ridge View Drive. Authorities have said that more than 1,000 homes are threatened by a possible mudslide and that the evacuations are being ordered as a precaution. An evacuation center is located at the Crowther Center, 241 W. Dawson Ave., in Glendora.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 19, 2014 | By Samantha Schaefer
After being driven for days by dry weather and high winds, the Colby fire was 78% contained Sunday morning, officials said, as firefighters made significant gains on the blaze near Glendora and Azusa. The last mandatory evacuation order in connection with the wildfire was lifted Saturday at 6 p.m., when the 1,000 residents of the Mountain Cove community were allowed to return home. California 39 in the area remains closed. Steep terrain in the vicinity will be the biggest challenge moving forward, said U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman L'Tagna Watson.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 18, 2014 | By Angel Jennings, Kate Mather and Irfan Khan
Residents living in the Mountain Cove community, who were forced to evacuate because of the Colby fire, will be allowed to return to their homes Saturday. A mandatory evacuation will be lifted at 6 p.m., according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.  However San Gabriel Canyon Road, which is located above the community, will remain closed. Officials cautioned returning residents to watch out for rocks falling on the roadway. The Colby fire burning near Glendora and Azusa has grown to more than 1,800 acres, but firefighters were hopeful that winds would remain calm Saturday as humidity levels rise, slowing the fire and allowing some evacuated residents to return home.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 16, 2014 | Robert J. Lopez
Evacuation orders have been lifted for Glendora neighborhoods in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains that were threatened earlier in the day by the Colby fire. Residents who live in areas north of Sierra Madre Boulevard bounded by Yucca Drive on the west and Glendora Mountain Road on the east were being allowed back into their homes, police said Thursday night. Neighborhoods in Azusa west of Yucca Drive and north of Sierra Madre to California 39 were still closed as fire crews continued to battle the 1,700-acre blaze, authorities said.
NATIONAL
September 3, 2008 | David Zucchino and Richard Fausset, Times Staff Writers
The interstates were clogged Tuesday with Hurricane Gustav evacuees inching their way home in the face of police roadblocks. Rain was falling in great gray sheets, sending floodwaters coursing out of the Bogue Falaya and Tchefuncte rivers and into homes and cars. At least four tornadoes touched down, and radios crackled with National Weather Service warnings of more. The power was out, the sewers weren't working and there was no gasoline for miles. It was a rough day in St. Tammany Parish, where two rivers and two interstates converge.
NATIONAL
October 19, 2003 | From Associated Press
Jerry Lawrence could smell the smoke as he headed for the stairs on the 32nd floor of the Cook County Administration Building but he thought it was just a trash fire. It wasn't until he and others had crowded into the stairwell and the smoke began thickening around them that he began to worry. "You could feel people picking up their pace in the stairwell as it became clearer and clearer that the fire was pretty bad," he said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 14, 2013 | By Robert J. Lopez and Samantha Schaefer
Evacuation orders were lifted Monday night in East Los Angeles after a punctured gas line was repaired, fire officials said. Between 80 to 100 people in about 60 homes in the 300 block of South Gerhard Avenue were forced to leave their neighborhood after work crews punctured the line around 2:45 p.m. The incident was cleared about 8:15 p.m. and residents were being allowed back to their homes, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said....
Los Angeles Times Articles
|