Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsExtradition Argentina
IN THE NEWS

Extradition Argentina

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
November 21, 1995 | Times Wire Services
Former Nazi SS Capt. Erich Priebke was extradited from Argentina on Monday to face trial in Italy for his part in the World War II massacre of 335 civilians. His departure from Argentina came on the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Nuremberg war crimes trial. The 82-year-old Priebke was accompanied by 10 Italian Interpol officers and a military doctor on board the Alitalia jet that arrived in Rome early today. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 7.
ARTICLES BY DATE
WORLD
November 13, 2003 | From Times Wire Reports
An Iranian diplomat accused of helping to mastermind the car bombing of a Jewish center in Argentina was freed from extradition proceedings when the British government said there was not enough evidence. Hadi Soleimanpour, 47, was arrested Aug. 21 on an Argentine warrant. Argentina has accused him of conspiracy to murder in the 1994 bombing.
Advertisement
NEWS
November 28, 1988 | United Press International
An Argentine judge today ordered the extradition to West Germany of alleged Nazi war criminal Josef Schwammberger, who is accused of murdering and torturing hundreds of prisoners in occupied Poland. Two court officials who asked not to be identified said the legal order approving an extradition request from a West German court was signed by Judge Vicente Bretal of La Plata, 35 miles south of Buenos Aires.
NEWS
July 29, 2000 | From Reuters
Argentina on Friday extradited the suspected mastermind of Germany's highest-paying kidnapping, sending him home to face charges after a two-year stay in an overcrowded Buenos Aires jail. Argentine Interpol officers hustled the burly, balding Thomas Drach, 40, out of Caseros prison and into a patrol car before driving him to the airport for a Lufthansa flight to Germany.
WORLD
November 13, 2003 | From Times Wire Reports
An Iranian diplomat accused of helping to mastermind the car bombing of a Jewish center in Argentina was freed from extradition proceedings when the British government said there was not enough evidence. Hadi Soleimanpour, 47, was arrested Aug. 21 on an Argentine warrant. Argentina has accused him of conspiracy to murder in the 1994 bombing.
NEWS
July 29, 2000 | From Reuters
Argentina on Friday extradited the suspected mastermind of Germany's highest-paying kidnapping, sending him home to face charges after a two-year stay in an overcrowded Buenos Aires jail. Argentine Interpol officers hustled the burly, balding Thomas Drach, 40, out of Caseros prison and into a patrol car before driving him to the airport for a Lufthansa flight to Germany.
NEWS
December 16, 1986
Four Americans facing extradition to Argentina escaped from a jail in the police headquarters of Brasilia, the Brazilian capital, and their lawyer said they used a rope made of knotted sheets to lower themselves from the prison roof. Federal police spokesman Paulo Marra identified the escapees as Sheldon Ainsworth of Omaha, Neb.; Timothy Michael Carmody of San Francisco; Frederick Verduin of Sonoma, Calif., and Steven Sosa of Fayetteville, N.C.
NEWS
May 8, 1990 | Reuters
West German Nazi-hunters paid $310,000 for information that led to the capture of a camp commandant charged with killing at least 5,000 Jews, the West German war crimes prosecutor said Monday. The record bounty was paid to an anonymous informer who led investigators to Argentina, where Josef Schwammberger had been living in hiding for three decades, Alfred Streim said after addressing the World Jewish Congress in West Berlin.
NEWS
March 8, 1998 | From Times Wire Services
A military appeals court Saturday upheld the conviction of former SS Capt. Erich Priebke for his role in Italy's worst World War II atrocity and sentenced him to life in prison. But prosecutors said that Priebke, 85, would not have to go to jail. Because of his frail health, the onetime Nazi will stay under house arrest. The five-judge panel also convicted former SS Maj.
NEWS
August 2, 1996 | From Associated Press
Hours after a military court acquitted former SS Capt. Erich Priebke of the most serious charges in a 52-year-old massacre and ordered him freed, the Italian justice minister said today that police were moving to rearrest him. The announcement came seven hours after a crowd of angry victims' relatives and members of the Jewish community blockaded a hallway to prevent Priebke from leaving the courthouse.
NEWS
November 21, 1995 | Times Wire Services
Former Nazi SS Capt. Erich Priebke was extradited from Argentina on Monday to face trial in Italy for his part in the World War II massacre of 335 civilians. His departure from Argentina came on the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Nuremberg war crimes trial. The 82-year-old Priebke was accompanied by 10 Italian Interpol officers and a military doctor on board the Alitalia jet that arrived in Rome early today. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 7.
NEWS
November 28, 1988 | United Press International
An Argentine judge today ordered the extradition to West Germany of alleged Nazi war criminal Josef Schwammberger, who is accused of murdering and torturing hundreds of prisoners in occupied Poland. Two court officials who asked not to be identified said the legal order approving an extradition request from a West German court was signed by Judge Vicente Bretal of La Plata, 35 miles south of Buenos Aires.
NEWS
August 2, 1996 | From Associated Press
Former SS Capt. Erich Priebke was rearrested by Italian police Thursday, hours after a military court acquitted him of the most serious charges in a 50-year-old massacre and ordered him freed. Officers led the 83-year-old Priebke past shouting protesters to a police van, which drove him to a nearby prison.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|