May 18, 2010 |
With his gaze fixed on a tiny screen, hearing plugged by earbuds and fingers flying, the average teenager may look like a disaster in the making: socially stunted, terminally distracted and looking for trouble. But look beyond the dizzying array of beeping, buzzing devices and the incessant multitasking, say psychologists, and today's digital kids may not be such a disaster after all. Far from hampering adolescents' social skills or putting them in harm's way, as many parents have feared, electronics appear to be the path by which children today develop emotional bonds, their own identities, and an ability to communicate and work with others.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 17, 2013 |
A Riverside County man convicted of creating a phony Facebook profile to lure a man and kill him is scheduled to be sentenced Thursday. Manuel Guzman Jr., who was 17 at the time of 2011 murder, created the profile under the name Rebecca Santhiago and used photos of an East Coast model, according to the Riverside County district attorney's office. Guzman tricked 23-year-old Eddie Leal into going to a park in San Jacinto, where Leal thought would meet Santhiago. Guzman shot Leal multiple times, according to prosecutors.
May 16, 2012 |
Mobile start-up Lightbox announced it would be joining Facebook and discontinuing its Android photo sharing app next month. The start-up's team of seven staffers, as reported by several outlets, will join Facebook just days before the social networking giant's IPO. The company made the announcement on its blog Tuesday. "Today, we're happy to announce that the Lightbox team is joining Facebook, where we'll have the opportunity to build amazing products for Facebook's 500+ million mobile users," the mobile app's founders, Thai Tran and Nilesh Patel, wrote in the post.
September 9, 2012
Re "Is it art or is it obscene? Facebook takes a stance," Column, Sept. 7 David Lazarus' column about the woman whose photos of her minor daughter were banned from Facebook for possibly being suggestive brings to mind Federico Fellini's short film, "Le Tentazioni del Dottor Antonio. " In it, a billboard that said "drink more milk" - with a photo of Anita Ekberg spilling out of a low-cut dress, and children dancing around it singing the billboard's jingle, "drink more milk" - drives a highly moral elderly man mad, until he has delusions of drowning in her breasts.
January 6, 2013
Re "I 'like' me, I really 'like' me," Opinion, Jan. 3 Until recently I had been a cynical voyeur on Facebook. I never posted anything, but took pleasure in mocking, as Meghan Daum so accurately describes it, the self-promoting of my "friends. " But then there was that flattering picture of me in Tijuana with my son, the one where I looked pretty young, and so, you know, just for the hell of it.... Well, the "likes" and compliments streamed in, and I responded with predictable self-deprecation: "The lens was blurred, but thanks!"
May 24, 2012 |
Up to 20% of personal income growth in California this year could be attributed to Facebook. What's the other 80%? The anti-tax folks might wage a guess and say "moving companies. " ALSO: Photo gallery: Ted Rall cartoons Will Smith and he who gets slapped Is the only good mountain lion a dead mountain lion? Follow Ted Rall on Twitter @TedRall . Follow Opinion L.A. on Twitter and Facebook .