December 31, 1999 |
Burger King Corp. was charged in a lawsuit with acting negligently when it distributed millions of potentially hazardous Pokemon balls to children. The suit, filed in Dallas County Court in Texas, came three days after the hamburger chain recalled the popular toy, which had been included in its Kids Meals for about two months, after reports that an 18-month-old girl suffocated on one of the toys.
November 30, 1999 |
Papa John's International Inc. and Tricon Global Restaurants Inc.'s Pizza Hut unit have agreed to let a federal judge resolve a bitter advertising dispute. The agreement between the feuding chains comes less than two weeks after a Dallas jury ruled that both companies made deceptive claims about each other's products. U.S. Magistrate Judge William Sanderson, who oversaw the recent trial, said he would rule on damages before Christmas. After a jury trial that ended Nov.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 27, 1998 |
A 30-year-old Antelope Valley man has sued a local McDonald's, alleging he was ridiculed and denied service by an employee because he is gay. The alleged incident took place on the morning of May 23 when Matt Rosenberg went to the restaurant at 2427 Avenue S East in Palmdale with his mother and young niece.
February 25, 1998
San Diego-based Foodmaker Inc., owner of the Jack in the Box fast-food chain, said it signed a $58.5-million settlement of lawsuits it filed against suppliers of meat that led to a deadly outbreak of illnesses caused by E. coli bacteria. Foodmaker has agreed to drop suits against Safeway Inc., among others, over meat it contends was tainted and that caused the deaths of four children in 1993.
January 25, 1998 |
A devout Hindu is suing a Taco Bell for serving him a beef burrito rather than the bean one he ordered. The one bite of beef he chewed violated Mukesh K. Rai's most fundamental religious principle, causing him emotional distress as well as medical expenses and loss of wages, he claimed in his suit filed last week. "Eating the cow, it was a really devastating experience," said Rai, reached at his Oxnard home Friday. "So much so that I had to go to a psychiatrist. I went to a doctor.
October 7, 1997 |
The U.S. Supreme Court allowed the meat processing unit for Pleasanton-based Safeway Inc. to file an interstate lawsuit against a Jack-in-the-Box restaurant franchise over a deadly 1993 outbreak of food poisoning. The case stemmed from illnesses due to E. coli bacteria traced to hamburgers sold at Jack-in-the-Box restaurants in several Western states. Jack-in-the-Box is a division of San Diego-based Foodmaker Inc.