Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFidel V Ramos
IN THE NEWS

Fidel V Ramos

NEWS
May 12, 1986 | United Press International
Gen. Fidel V. Ramos, chief of staff of the Philippine armed forces, announced the formation Sunday of a special panel to investigate corruption cases involving high-ranking active and retired military officers. Ramos, who also served as uniformed chief under deposed President Ferdinand E. Marcos, said the panel is a first step by the military in an effort to "cleanse its ranks."
Advertisement
NEWS
June 24, 1992 | Associated Press
The Philippine Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected a petition for a recount of the presidential election, removing the last legal obstacle to Fidel V. Ramos' becoming president. The 64-year-old Ramos, a former defense secretary, will take office next Tuesday. Congress on Monday officially proclaimed him the winner of the May 11 presidential election, and he promised that his government will defend "the poor and powerless."
NEWS
March 23, 1995 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
The Philippines and Singapore recalled their ambassadors as relations between the countries plummeted in a dispute over the hanging of a Philippine maid. President Fidel V. Ramos announced the indefinite recall of his envoy and banned any more maids from going to the island state. Singapore responded by recalling its ambassador for consultations. Flor Contemplacion was hanged for the 1991 killing of another Philippine maid and a Singaporean boy.
NEWS
January 3, 1991 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
President Corazon Aquino has asked the Philippine Congress for emergency powers to cope with possible civil unrest in case of a Persian Gulf war. Her executive secretary, Oscar Orbos, said the powers would cover areas such as law and order and regulation of supplies of essential commodities such as food and gasoline. Defense Secretary Fidel V. Ramos said that if war breaks out, Manila might have to contend with domestic unrest as extremist groups try to exploit rising prices and shortages.
NEWS
August 30, 1986 | Associated Press
Communist rebels staged an ambush in a southern province where a local cease-fire had been signed, and 15 soldiers and 5 guerrillas were killed, the office of the armed forces chief of staff, Gen. Fidel V. Ramos, reported Friday. The report said the ambush occurred Wednesday in Davao del Norte province, 550 miles southeast of Manila, just two weeks after the rebels signed a cease-fire agreement negotiated by the province's local officials.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|