Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFire Extinguishers
IN THE NEWS

Fire Extinguishers

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 6, 1990 | VICKI TORRES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The historic Raymond Theatre, which reopened last month after four years of darkness, was shut down Friday and Saturday nights for failure to meet fire safety regulations. Fire Chief Kaya Pekerol, who closed down the Raymond at 5 p.m. Friday, said owner Gary Folgner failed to meet a number of fire safety regulations. Chief among them was the failure to verify that flame-retardant material was used to upholster 1,000 ground-floor seats, Pekerol said.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 25, 1993
The crowded inner-city neighborhoods immediately west of downtown Los Angeles are full of firetraps. A Times study has found numerous fire safety violations, such as broken fire doors, inoperable smoke detectors and missing fire extinguishers and hoses, in apartment buildings throughout the Pico-Union and Westlake districts.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 26, 1994 | THAO HUA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A 5-year-old girl using a lighter to keep her teddy bear warm ignited a fire early Friday that caused $25,000 in damage to an apartment building, fire investigators said. The fire, which broke out about 1:30 a.m., could have been kept to a much smaller scale had there been batteries in the smoke alarm, said Dennis Shell, an Orange County Fire Department spokesman. "Carelessness almost took the life of a little girl," he said. "This could have been a devastating holiday tragedy."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 7, 2013 | By Lee Romney and Joseph Serna
OAKLAND - The San Mateo county coroner's office on Tuesday identified the five women killed on the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge when their limousine became engulfed in flames while traveling to a wedding celebration. They are: Neriza Fojas, 31, and Michelle Estrera, 35, of Fresno; Jennifer Balon, 39, of Dublin; Anna Alcantara, 46, of San Lorenzo; and Felomina Geronga, 43, of Alameda. Four other passengers survived, as did the driver. Other than Geronga, the close-knit Filipina friends were all nurses who had met while working at Oakland's Fruitvale Healthcare Center, bonding like “sisters,” one survivor told a local television station.
ENTERTAINMENT
February 5, 2013 | By Deborah Vankin
A performer with Lyric Opera of Chicago suffered serious burns Monday afternoon when his face went up in flames during a dress rehearsal of Wagner's “Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg” at the Civic Opera House in Chicago. Wesley Daniel, 24, is expected to be OK and should be released from the hospital this Thursday, according to the Chicago Tribune. Daniel's father, Clifton Truman Daniel, 55, was in the audience when the accident occurred. “It's horrifying,” he told the Tribune.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 13, 2010 | By My-Thuan Tran, Los Angeles Times
Erick and Edward Marroquin were always together. The 15-year-old fraternal twins liked to read Japanese anime comics and spent weekends with their father learning about his construction business. Edward, the more outgoing twin, watched out for his brother, who had autism, family members said. Early Thursday, flames engulfed the South Los Angeles apartment where the twins lived. Their mother, Ismenia Platero, who was pregnant, managed to escape with her three younger children — two girls and a boy — but the twins died inside the two-bedroom apartment in the 4000 block of Ursula Avenue.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 11, 1988 | JIM CARLTON, Times Staff Writer
Fire raced through three Laguna Niguel businesses Thursday morning, causing an estimated $1.8 million in damage and sending dense clouds of smoke across Interstate 5, slowing traffic for hours. More than 60 firefighters battled the blaze for an hour as sheets of flame shot through the rooftop in the 27600 block of Camino Capistrano. No serious injuries were reported. But Laguna Auto Body, Saddleback Wholesale Electric and Triple L Electric all were destroyed.
NEWS
August 21, 1986 | MICHELE L. NORRIS, Times Staff Writer
When Carmen Gonzales jumped out her second-story window Tuesday morning to escape flames licking at her back, she had only her clothes and a gold pendant she wears for luck. When she landed, the 19-year-old student broke both her heels. Behind her, the flames swept through her family's uninsured apartment. Still, she insists she is blessed. "I woke up about 8:30 to see what time it was and I heard people yelling and screaming, so I woke up my brothers and nephews," she said Tuesday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 29, 1998 | GARY POLAKOVIC and COLL METCALFE, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
For the second time in as many weeks, fire ripped through an artists' enclave in west Ventura on Monday and destroyed about a third of the structures that make up Art City, authorities said. Wind-fanned flames from the midafternoon blaze also raced through Roscoe Auto Salvage, located nearby at 175 Dubbers St. "I was in disbelief when someone yelled 'Fire!' " said Paul Lindhard, unofficial mayor of Art City and one of 12 artists who work there. "I grabbed two fire extinguishers.
REAL ESTATE
October 28, 2001 | GARY ABRAMS, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Every year there are stories about fires that start in laundry and utility areas of residences. Most of these fires are preventable. Here is what you should do to keep your family safe: * Clean your lint trap after every load. Residential dryers come with screened filters designed to trap lint emitted from laundry as it tumbles. Because lint is highly flammable, it is imperative that the trap be checked and cleaned after each load to reduce lint buildup in the machine and vent line.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|