May 30, 2008 |
A stockpile of chemicals being used to disinfect an earthquake-shattered town caught fire Thursday, injuring soldiers doing relief work, as heavy rain added to the misery of survivors in tents or lean-tos. The official New China News Agency reported that more than 800 people were evacuated from the town of Leigu, in devastated Beichuan County, to avoid a cloud of chlorine gas caused by the blaze.
June 28, 2002 |
At first, Song Yozhu thought that his 14-year-old grandson was on drugs. The boy rarely came home. When he did show up, he was lethargic. Then, a few weeks ago, he and a 13-year-old friend bleached their hair blond and started living together in an empty apartment. "He told me, no, he was not on drugs," Song said. "He had been hanging out at the wang ba. He said he went there almost every night." Wang bas are China's 200,000 Internet cafes, the vast majority of them illegal.
December 29, 2000 |
Angered by revelations of years of safety violations at a shopping center that caught fire on Christmas, relatives of hundreds of people who died in the blaze marched Thursday to demand better public safety and complain of callous treatment by authorities. President Jiang Zemin expressed "extreme concern" and ordered officials to "do a good job in dealing with the aftermath of the fire," the official New China News Agency said.
December 28, 2000 |
Chinese investigators believe that sparks from a welding torch ignited a Christmas night blaze in a shopping center that killed 309 people, most of them revelers in a disco, the official New China News Agency said today. Four welders who fled without raising the alarm were arrested, the agency said. Eight other people who gave false testimony about the incident in the central city of Luoyang were also held Wednesday, it added.
December 27, 2000 |
Authorities have detained the operators of a dance hall where hundreds of people were killed in a Christmas night fire, state media said today. Revelers in the fourth-floor disco and construction workers on the floors below were among the 309 fatalities from the raging blaze. The reports said that the disco, located inside a six-story shopping center in the central Chinese city of Luoyang, was operating illegally.
December 26, 2000 |
More than 300 people, many of them attending a Christmas night disco party, died and dozens more were injured when a fire engulfed a multistory commercial building in the ancient city of Luoyang, local officials and Chinese media accounts reported today. Several hundred people reportedly were trapped in the dance hall on the building's fourth floor when the fire broke out about 9:30 p.m. Monday. Many of those attending the disco party were unable to flee.