Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFires Ventura County
IN THE NEWS

Fires Ventura County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 13, 1993 | LEO SMITH
A fire early Saturday morning at the Naval Construction Battalion Center in Port Hueneme destroyed one apartment building that was under construction and damaged another, a Seabee official said. Seabee spokeswoman Linda Wadley said there were no injuries in the two-alarm fire, which began about 2 a.m. Wadley said the apartment structures were part of a 16-building, $22-million housing project, started in December, 1992.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 7, 1993 | JEFF McDONALD, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
A Ventura man burned to death early Sunday after apparently falling asleep in his armchair while smoking a cigarette and setting his Pierpont Boulevard home ablaze, fire officials said. Mortimer Mills, 74, who neighbors said was a retired film and stage actor, was found dead in his chair shortly before 8 a.m., Battalion Chief Wayne K. Belitski said. Mills apparently sparked the fire when his cigarette fell into the armchair, igniting a fire that spread through the living room.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 4, 1993 | JULIE FIELDS
A large buildup of grease apparently fueled a fire that gutted a Camarillo restaurant after flames spread through the open attic area and engulfed the roof, investigators said Thursday. County Fire Investigator Peter Cronk said Wednesday's fire at Rock-N-Robin's American Grill at 2123 Ventura Blvd. overpowered a safety system designed to smother flare-ups on the grill by releasing dry chemicals. The chemicals were released, but the flames still spread, Cronk said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 3, 1993 | BRENDA DAY
Ventura County firefighters anxiously facing drastic budget cuts have a new champion: a Thousand Oaks woman pulled to safety this week from her burning home without a scratch. On Wednesday, just one day after Cathy Ellis, 38, was rescued from the flames that destroyed her home, she stopped by Fire Station 30 to thank the three-man crew that saved her life. "I can't even think of the word that could cover it," Ellis said to firefighter Jack Nosco, who carried her out of a bedroom window.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 3, 1993 | PATRICK McCARTNEY, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
A kitchen fire in a Camarillo restaurant Wednesday evening forced more than 80 customers and employees to flee before flames gutted the structure, authorities said. Rock-N-Robin's American Grill was nearly a total loss after an automatic fire-suppression system apparently failed to douse a grease fire that started in the restaurant's kitchen. "I thought we were fine" after the fire-control system turned on automatically, said restaurant owner Robin Dame.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 2, 1993 | JULIE FIELDS
Firefighters rescued a Thousand Oaks woman from a burning house early Tuesday, shortly before the structure was destroyed, authorities said. When firefighters arrived, the roof of the single-story house at 440 Shenandoah St. was engulfed in flames. After hearing a woman screaming inside, firefighters rescued Kathleen Ellis, 38, through a bedroom window. Ellis, daughter of the homeowner, was treated for smoke inhalation at Los Robles Regional Medical Center and released.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 20, 1993 | JULIE FIELDS
A small chemical fire on the roof of the County Government Center in Ventura forced about 950 people to evacuate the county courthouse for about 30 minutes Wednesday morning, authorities said. The fire was spotted on the Hall of Justice roof around 10 a.m. by a county employee repairing a microwave tower on the south end of the roof.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 18, 1993 | JAMES MAIELLA JR.
A fire in the laundry room of the Doubletree Hotel in Ventura early Monday caused $5,500 in damage before being extinguished by an overhead sprinkler, officials said. Firefighters responded to the blaze shortly after receiving a report of smoke in the hotel kitchen area at 1:33 a.m., Battalion Chief Bill Rigg said in a prepared statement. Upon arrival, investigators found that the fire had broken out adjacent to the kitchen, in the laundry room.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 6, 1993 | MAIA DAVIS
About 4,400 Ventura residences and businesses were without electricity for half an hour Wednesday afternoon and about 100 more customers remained without power into the evening as the result of a fire in an underground electrical vault. The problems began at 3:23 p.m. in the vault housing electrical-switching equipment in the 2100 block of Knoll Drive, Southern California Edison officials said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 1, 1993 | JULIE FIELDS
A house fire that killed a 62-year-old Ventura woman Monday night started when the woman apparently ignited an armchair while smoking cigarettes, a fire investigator said Friday. Barbara Seymour, who was found lying on the floor near her front door with burns over her entire body, was unable to escape the blaze because she apparently could not find the key to the double-key deadbolt on her front door, Ventura City Fire Capt. Michael Maher said.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|