YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFlash Fire

Flash Fire

February 9, 1985 | BOB POOL, Times Staff Writer
The guests of honor Friday at ceremonies marking the reopening of a recently burned-out Chatsworth manufacturing plant were an unlikely group: its competitors. Owners and employees of the Dunlap & Abbott Co. staged a party in their new $11-million machine shop to thank competing companies and others who helped them stay in business after a flash fire gutted the plant nine months ago.
October 24, 1987 | HUGH A. MULLIGAN, Associated Press
Lucius Lucinius Lucullus, that old Roman rake who used to pig out on flamingo tongues, locusts marinated in honey and baron of Carthaginian boar, then reload on stuffed dormice after a trip to the vomitorium, may have been born two millennia too soon.
Even now, six years and countless operations later, young Jimmy Nute feels the unforgettable heat of the back-yard fire that scorched his body and scarred his life. He senses the flames in the searing stares of adults who gawk publicly at his injuries until--lashing out in shame and anger--he has knocked clothes from their department store display racks.
September 14, 1989 | From Associated Press
Methane gas ignited in a flash "like a flame thrower" in a coal mine Wednesday, killing 10 miners in the nation's worst coal mine disaster in five years, authorities said. There were conflicting reports of the number of miners injured in the fire at the William Station Mine in western Kentucky, but its parent company, Costain Coal Inc., said no one was trapped underground. The mine, run by Costain's subsidiary, Pyro Mining Co.
July 9, 1993
A flash fire and collapsed power lines left parts of Santa Monica in darkness for an hour Wednesday night and about 600 customers were still without electricity 24 hours later. A spokesman for Southern California Edison said the problem started about 11:43 p.m. Wednesday when a cable connection broke beneath Pacific Coast Highway. Then a safety system that shuts off nearby circuits failed as well, causing the power lines to ignite, spokesman Randy McDonald said.
February 15, 2001 | LAWRENCE J. MAGID, larry.TIMES STAFF WRITER
Anyone who connects a digital video camera or an external disk drive to a PC owes a debt to Apple Computer. Apple developed FireWire, a high-speed method for connecting computer peripherals. After Apple made the technology available to other companies, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers adopted it as an industry standard with the official and more boring moniker "IEEE 1394." Sony came up with yet another name--"i. Link."
Five people were burned, three of them critically, in a flash fire caused when a propane line ruptured Sunday afternoon at a crowded youth baseball tournament, a Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman said. Several hundred people were attending the tournament at William S. Hart Pony Baseball Field in the 23400 block of Valencia Boulevard when the fire broke out in the food preparation area at 5:30 p.m., said Lt. Tim Peters of the Sheriff's Department's Santa Clarita station.
May 9, 2005 | Daryl H. Miller, Times Staff Writer
Noel Coward was a chemist of interpersonal relationships, which he recorded in equations that go something like this: "If all the various cosmic thingummys fuse at the same moment, and the right spark is struck, there's no knowing what one mightn't do. That was the trouble with Elyot and me, we were like two violent acids bubbling about in a nasty little matrimonial bottle." The speaker is Amanda, a central character in Coward's most enduringly popular play, "Private Lives."
July 6, 2003 | Jennifer L. Brown, Associated Press Writer
ENID, Okla. -- His hands felt like they were in an oven. He didn't feel much else, though his body was charred from his forehead to his knees. The flash roiled from an oil tank, spewing a ball of savage fire that swallowed Greg Walton and three other field hands, then recoiled into the tank as fast as it attacked. He saw nothing but yellow. The cotton T-shirt disintegrated off his back as the explosive fumes sent him running.
March 1, 2009 | Kim Christensen
UCLA's Molecular Sciences Building was mostly closed for the holidays on Dec. 29 as research assistant Sheri Sangji worked on an organic chemistry experiment. Only three months into her job in the lab, the 23-year-old Pomona College graduate was using a plastic syringe to extract from a sealed container a small quantity of t-butyl lithium -- a chemical compound that ignites instantly when exposed to air. As she withdrew the liquid, the syringe came apart in her hands, spewing flaming chemicals, according to a UCLA accident report.
Los Angeles Times Articles