February 5, 1993 |
Until his two young daughters became seriously ill after eating contaminated hamburgers at a nearby Jack in the Box restaurant, Joseph Dolan of Kent, Wash., never doubted that any meat was fit to eat. Meat is inspected by the government, he knew, stamped with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's seal of approval. "You just assume everything is safe," Dolan said.
November 9, 1996 |
An outbreak of E. coli illness linked to a California company's unpasteurized apple juice claimed its first fatality Friday with the death of a 15-month-old Colorado girl. Anna Gimmestad, an only child, died at Children's Hospital in Denver after a two-week battle with kidney failure, known to be a complication of an especially virulent bacterial strain known as E. coli O157:H7. The child's parents, from Greeley, Colo., said the child had consumed fruit "smoothies" made by Odwalla Inc.
August 16, 1987 |
Health officials have recalled more than a ton of Greenbank Farms raw-milk cheese, which they said was contaminated with a potentially life-threatening bacteria. Food and Drug Administration officials said the recall of Greenbank Farms sharp cheddar cheese distributed in California and Washington has been given the department's highest priority because of the life-threatening potential of the bacteria, listeria monocytogenes.
October 30, 1999 |
Consumers in Japan are unknowingly eating dolphin and porpoise-- marketed as whale meat--that contain dangerously high levels of mercury and other contaminants, according to new research by a Harvard University biologist. The scientist who discovered the contamination feels so strongly about the health threat that he took the unusual step last week of writing a letter to top Japanese officials calling for public warnings and an immediate ban on sales of the contaminated meat.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 10, 2006 |
Taco Bell fired its produce provider in the Northeastern states after green onions supplied by the company were suspected in an E. coli outbreak believed to have sickened more than 160 people, company officials said Saturday. The Irvine-based Mexican food chain also said that it had tested more than 150 ingredients from its restaurants and, with the exception of a preliminary positive result for green onions, everything was contamination-free.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 4, 2005 |
From Bel-Air to Holmby Hills it was hard to get a cup of coffee Thursday. Stan's Donuts had to use bottled water to make its famous doughnuts. And Noah's Bagels was forced to sell non-bagel sandwiches. And so it went, as a warning over possible water contamination sent coffee shop owners, hoteliers and residents on Los Angeles' Westside scrambling to find other ways to satisfy their breakfast needs.
July 7, 1996 |
Recalling the muckraking food-industry exposes of almost a century ago, President Clinton on Saturday announced a new system for guarding against deadly bacteria in meat and poultry by relying more on scientific testing and less on the touch, sight and smell of federal inspectors. The responsibility for designing and implementing the new system--and its eventual cost of perhaps $100 million a year--will fall mainly on private industry.
June 17, 1993 |
Every year, soft-drink manufacturers and brewers fill more than 95 billion metal cans in a rattling, high-speed, mechanical conga line. At the average Pepsi-Cola plant, 2,000 cans every minute speed single-file along an enclosed conveyor line to be filled with the cola company's most profitable product. The aluminum cans, which account for more than half the cost of every soft drink, have become the object of a national consumer scare.
March 15, 1989 |
Stevedores in Los Angeles temporarily refused to unload a refrigerated freighter from Chile on Tuesday as dockworkers, fruit wholesalers, grocers and growers confronted the government's new warning against tainted fruit. The dockworkers relented later in the day after government inspectors declared the cargo safe for handling. The cargo was unloaded, but it remains detained at the Port of Los Angeles.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 29, 1991 |
County health officials are investigating an apparent outbreak of food poisoning that made at least 11 Bullock's employees ill but may have affected as many as 200 workers at the store. "I feel very confident the numbers are going to increase significantly," County Environmental Health Director Robert E. Merryman said late Friday. "Public health nurses are interviewing people now. There's a very good chance that a couple of hundred people became ill."