December 2, 2008 |
China's Health Ministry announced a nearly six-fold increase -- to 294,000 -- in the number of infants sickened by tainted milk powder and said six may have died, not three. It was the first time since Sept. 21 that health authorities had revised the total number of babies sickened by the industrial chemical melamine.
November 27, 2008 |
A national consumers group and the Illinois attorney general demanded a Food and Drug Administration recall of several major brands of infant formula in which traces of melamine were detected. The FDA reiterated that the baby food was safe and that the extremely low levels of contamination did not present a health danger.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 24, 2008 |
At least 32 people have fallen ill with salmonella after eating meals prepared at a North Hollywood preschool kitchen. Ten children and five adults have been hospitalized. A public health official said Thursday they are all doing well. The outbreak was first detected Oct. 15, affecting preschools run by Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles, said the group's president, Bob Pratt. The nonprofit runs 39 preschools in the San Fernando Valley, East Los Angeles and South Bay areas, and operates a central commercial kitchen in North Hollywood that supplies meals to about 15 classroom sites in the Valley and East Los Angeles areas, Pratt said.
October 21, 2008 |
About 1,500 dogs bred for their raccoon-like fur have died after eating feed tainted with melamine in China. The raccoon dogs -- a breed native to East Asia whose fur is used to trim coats and other clothing -- died of kidney failure after eating the tainted feed, said Zhang Wenkui, a veterinary professor at Shenyang Agriculture University. Zhang declined to say when the deaths occurred, but a news report said they were over the last two months. Melamine has also been found in Chinese milk.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 16, 2008 |
L.A. County public health officials lifted a boil-water order at a county juvenile detention camp Wednesday afternoon, weeks after they detected bacteria in the camp's water supply. Health department officials issued the boil-water order Oct. 3 after tests in late September showed coliform bacteria in tap water at Camp David Gonzalez in Malibu, which houses about 100 teenage boys. None of the youths or two dozen staff at the camp were sickened by the contaminated water, county probation officials said, so they did not notify parents or guardians.
October 10, 2008 |
California is the source of E. coli-tainted iceberg lettuce suspected to have sickened 36 people in Michigan, officials said Thursday. "Illness dates, ship dates and delivery dates narrow the origin to California," said Jennifer Holton, a spokeswoman for the Michigan Department of Agriculture. The California Department of Public Health is working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the state of Michigan, said Ken August, a spokesman with the California agency.
October 9, 2008 |
Before dawn each day, Gao Penghong and his wife join scores of other farmers in this dairy-rich village who must walk their cows to a local milk collection station because of new safety requirements. A byproduct of China's deadly tainted-milk scandal, the mile-long walks to the station come as officials push for more critical supervision of dairy farmers. Only weeks ago, farmers were free to milk their cows at home and deliver the product in heavy metal containers.
October 3, 2008 |
On holiday with my family this week on China's resort island of Hainan, one of the first things I did after checking in to our hotel room was ask the duty manager: What kind of milk do you serve? A few minutes later, a man named Jimmy from the hotel's food-service staff called. Don't worry, he said, the hotel serves only fresh milk. "We carefully check our supplier," he said. It may seem odd to be obsessing over dairy products, but that's now common for my family and many others living in China.
September 27, 2008 |
The Food and Drug Administration and state health authorities warned consumers Friday not to eat any flavors of White Rabbit candy imported from China because they may be contaminated with the chemical melamine. The California Department of Public Health specifically identified White Rabbit candies imported and distributed by Queensway Foods Co. of Burlingame, Calif. Queensway is voluntarily recalling the chewy sweets after state testing detected melamine in some pieces.
September 26, 2008 |
The European Union banned imports of baby food containing Chinese milk. The 27-nation EU joined a growing list of countries that have banned or recalled Chinese dairy products because of melamine contamination, which has killed four Chinese babies and sickened 54,000.