April 12, 2014 |
Hers is the Cinderella story of the fitness world. At age 40, Tosca Reno says she was nearly 80 pounds overweight, depressed and clinging to a bad marriage because, as a stay-at-home mother, she feared she couldn't raise her three young girls on her own. Today, at 53, she is one of the most recognized celebrities in the fitness world -- and not only because she recently posed for the cover of Oxygen magazine in a blue bikini that showed off...
April 11, 2014 |
Culling my bookshelves recently, I came across my much-thumbed copy of "Unmentionable Cuisine" and remembered the dinners, years ago, that Bonnie Hughes of the late Augusta's Restaurant in Berkeley organized with author Calvin W. Schwabe. The menus read something like this: deep-fried turkey testicles with Parmesan, baked lamb eyes with truffles and shiitake, veal brains in coconut cream, intestine dumplings, and fried crickets and peanuts - and that's just for appetizers. Main dishes included red-cooked duck tongues, whole stuffed frog, grilled guinea pig, and grilled rattlesnake marinated in whiskey, ginger and soy. The dinners had the thrill of the illicit, and everyone had a merry time.
April 9, 2014 |
AUGUSTA, Ga. - It was a quiet, nondescript moment deep in the pine trees at the end of a sunny practice round. It was a moment unspoiled by smartphones or smart alecks. It was the perfect Masters moment. At a spot where fans could cross the 18th fairway Wednesday afternoon, the marshals did not spot any oncoming golfers and dropped the ropes. But the fans didn't move. In the distance, they could hear a shuffling and a whistling, and so they waited. And waited. Finally, coming down the hill, with no caddie or entourage, accompanied only by his twirling golf club, was smiling former Masters champion Angel Cabrera.
HOME & GARDEN
April 9, 2014 |
Go ahead, play with your food, Niki Jabbour seems to be saying in her new book, "Groundbreaking Food Gardens" (Storey Publishing, $19.95, paper). The author of the bestselling "The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener" and host of the radio show "The Weekend Gardener" enlisted leading gardeners and designers to contribute themed food garden plans to "change the way you grow your garden. " They delivered handsomely. The food gardens in this illustrated book, subtitled "73 Plans That Will Change the Way You Grow Your Garden," are inventive, inspiring and instructive - and creatively named.
April 9, 2014 |
CHICAGO - Wal-Mart is trying to make organic food more accessible to its budget-conscious shoppers. The retailer is making a bigger bet on the fast-growing category, teaming with Wild Oats to sell organic packaged food priced in line with conventional foods and at least 25% cheaper than other organic brands it currently carries. The effort by Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer and the largest single seller of food in the United States, could have a ripple effect in the grocery industry.
April 7, 2014 |
If you've eaten from a food truck or cart in Los Angeles County, chew on this: About 40% of the roughly 3,200 food trucks and carts cooking up meals in the area have never been inspected in the field by health officials since letter grades were introduced three years ago. And most of the remaining 60% have been checked out only once a year, even though official guidelines call for at least two annual field inspections. How do I know that? Because Angelo Bellomo, director of environmental health for the county Department of Public Health, told me so. He oversees inspections of all eateries, including mobile ones.