Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFreeway Shootings
IN THE NEWS

Freeway Shootings

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 25, 1987
The Times is to be commended on the excellent editorial "Guns and Tire Irons" (Aug. 6), regarding the recent freeway shootings and the need for gun control legislation that would prevent such incidents from occurring in the future. Since June 18, numerous freeway shootings have occurred in Los Angeles County, resulting in four deaths and seven injuries. Auto-oriented violence is not new, however: There was a similar rash of freeway shootings in 1977, and gang-related drive-by shootings happen with some frequency.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 11, 2005 | Jason Felch, Times Staff Writer
Authorities are investigating two Saturday freeway shootings, one of which left an 18-year-old woman hospitalized in critical condition. About 10 p.m. Saturday night a gunman fired multiple shots into a Nissan Altima carrying a driver and two passengers east on the Foothill Freeway near the Mount Olive Drive exit in Duarte, according to the California Highway Patrol.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 4, 1996 | EMI ENDO, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An angry driver shot and fatally wounded another man after a traffic argument as they sped along the Long Beach Freeway in Monterey Park on Sunday morning, authorities said. Juan Grimaldo, 33, of Bell Gardens was driving north on the 710 Freeway north of Cesar Chavez Avenue shortly after 11 a.m., when he and another motorist got into an argument, said Los Angeles Sheriff's Deputy Carrie Stuart.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 22, 1988 | LYNN O'SHAUGHNESSY, Times Staff Writer
Two Northridge residents collected $25,000 from Los Angeles County on Tuesday for racing along the Golden State Freeway last July at speeds up to 100 m.p.h. to read the license number of a car whose driver had fired a shot at them. The information provided by Carol Fayne, 56, a Northridge housewife, and Michael Fabian Smith, 36, a friend riding with her, eventually led to the conviction of Lewis L. Meeks, 32, an unemployed Sylmar carpenter.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 13, 1990 | MAYERENE BARKER and PATRICIA KLEIN LERNER, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A West Hills couple escaped injury early Friday when their car was hit twice by gunshots fired from one of two vehicles that boxed them in on the Ventura Freeway in Woodland Hills, police said. Theresa Rodriguez, 30, and her husband, Alex, 31, were heading home after visiting friends about 3 a.m. when their car was caught between two vehicles that were apparently racing each other, said Los Angeles Police Detective Joel Price.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 19, 1988 | JERRY HICKS, Times Staff Writer
A roofer was convicted Thursday of attempted voluntary manslaughter in a freeway shooting incident in Costa Mesa last summer that left the victim paralyzed from the neck down. However, jurors found Albert Carroll Morgan, 33, of Santa Ana innocent of the more serious charge of attempted murder. Morgan's attorney, Paul S. Meyer, was elated by the verdict and said that Morgan now faces a sentence of about 10 years instead of life.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 4, 1993 | JEFFREY A. PERLMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The fatal shooting of a 19-year-old man on the Riverside Freeway on Friday evening was gang-related and not random gunfire, police said Saturday. Police identified the victim as Oscar Garcia, a resident of Anaheim. Police also said that a woman and her 10-month-old daughter were passengers in Garcia's Volkswagen Rabbit. Both were unharmed.
ENTERTAINMENT
May 13, 2005 | Roy Rivenburg, Times Staff Writer
With all the news about freeway shootings, it might seem like the safest thing to do is stay home in bed. But your chances of dying there are even higher. According to the National Safety Council, 500 Americans perish each year from accidental strangulation or suffocation in bed. Contrast that with the four tragic gunfire deaths so far this year on area freeways.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 3, 2005 | Megan Garvey and Rong-Gong Lin II, Times Staff Writers
Southern California marked its eighth freeway shooting in two months Monday as authorities established a special task force aimed at halting the violence that has baffled detectives and frightened commuters. The shootings have left four men dead and four injured, but investigators are struggling to generate leads and so far have made no arrests.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 21, 1987 | KONRAD KELLEN, Konrad Kellen is a writer in Los Angeles.
Once, on a visit to Turkey, I was told by a citizen of that country: "Of course, you Americans are so rich, in your country everybody can afford a bulletproof vest!" The man clearly had a healthy respect for and a good understanding of the high standard of living in America and the quality of life in our country.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|