Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsFumes
IN THE NEWS

Fumes

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 27, 1995
At least two people complained that they suffered minor respiratory problems Saturday morning after inhaling a "caustic odor" at an office building. A hazardous materials team was sent to the site near Corbin Avenue and Nordhoff Place after the odor was detected about 9:30 a.m. The General Bank Building was cleared of occupants as the team scoured the building for potential fumes, according to Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey.
Advertisement
NEWS
May 20, 1997 | Associated Press
The federal building here was closed Monday after six workers overcome by a strong gas-like smell were taken to hospitals suffering chest pains, breathing difficulty and tearing eyes. It was the second time in less than a week that the George H. Fallon Federal Building had to be evacuated because of overpowering fumes. The problem could be caused by glue vapors from new carpet, Fire Chief Hector Torres said. The vapors may be wafting through the elevator shafts, he said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 21, 1990
An airline worker loading cargo Friday onto a plane at Los Angeles International Airport was overcome by fumes from a broken bottle containing a solvent used to make artificial fingernails, authorities said. The man, who was not immediately identified, was working near an America West passenger plane about 11:30 a.m. when he complained of watery eyes and trouble breathing, Fire Department spokesman Pat Marek said. He was taken to a nearby medical clinic for observation and released, he said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 30, 1997 | CLAIRE VITUCCI, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
The Walt Disney Co. sent 166 employees home early Tuesday after some were sickened by fumes of an unknown kind in the company's Art Editions building. Burbank firefighters evacuated the building, at 820 S. Flower St., about 2 p.m. after 18 employees complained of burning eyes, headaches and nausea. No one was injured and no one was treated, said Burbank Fire Marshal Darryl Forbes. "They went out in the fresh air outside, everything went bye-bye and everyone felt better," Forbes said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 4, 1993
Hospital officials evacuated about 150 people from an FHP Inc. medical building Thursday morning after noxious fumes filled the facility and two employees were admitted to the center for observation later in the day, authorities said. The two employees, whose names were not released, complained of nausea and eye irritations, authorities said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 26, 1992 | LILY DIZON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Classes will resume today at Capistrano Valley High School, where nauseating fumes forced evacuation at the campus Friday and sent 24 students and administrators to the hospital. "I would expect that everything will be normal and we will do everything like we do every other normal school day," said Jacqueline Price, a spokeswoman for the Capistrano Unified School District.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 28, 1997 | CLAIRE VITUCCI
Six people were taken to hospitals Wednesday after complaining of nausea from noxious fumes, a Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman said. The incident occurred about 1:30 p.m. Four other employees of a 10th floor business at 15720 W. Ventura Blvd. also complained of nausea but were treated at the scene, said Fire Department spokesman Jim Wells. Six employees were taken to Northridge Hospital Medical Center and Kaiser Permanente in Woodland Hills for treatment.
NEWS
July 15, 2000 | Associated Press
An inadvertent mixture of hydrochloric acid and jet fuel at a rail yard led to the temporary evacuation of about 1,000 residents of this Mojave Desert town. Hazardous-materials teams, including one from a nearby Marine base, were sent to the Union Pacific rail yard after the fumes were reported about 6 p.m. Thursday. Fourteen emergency fire crews also responded to the scene.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 1990 | MARLA CONE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Fifteen workers were treated at hospitals for chemical exposure Saturday evening after an aircraft repair plant filled with thick, yellow, poisonous fumes that spilled out of an oven. About 30 employees were evacuated from Parker Customer Support Operations at 16666 Von Karman Ave. about 5 p.m. after a pint-size can of resin was apparently heated to too high a temperature, county fire officials said.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|