YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsGang Related Shooting

Gang Related Shooting

July 30, 1989
A San Fernando youth was wounded early Saturday in a gang-related shooting, police said. San Fernando Police Sgt. Kenneth Belben said the injured teen-ager was among several youths standing in the 400 block of North Maclay Avenue shortly after midnight when a truck carrying other youths drove by and stopped. Belben said the youths in the truck got out and fired several shotgun and handgun shots into the group. The attackers got back into the truck and drove away, he said.
January 5, 1989
A gang-related shooting in the Willowbrook area killed one man and hospitalized another, Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies reported. The shooting occurred about 11 p.m. Tuesday as the two victims were getting out of a car in front of an apartment building at 2000 E. El Segundo Blvd, Deputy Detta Roberts said. The victims were approached by two reputed gang members, who fled after one of them shot the victims with a handgun, Roberts said.
October 1, 2011 | By Andrew Blankstein
Two undercover Los Angeles police officers were shot and wounded late Saturday night after trying to intervene in a gang-related shooting they witnessed, sparking a gun battle and a massive manhunt through Koreatown. One officer was shot in the face, and his condition was unknown. A second suffered a graze wound to the head, and was expected to survive. Both were rushed to a local hospital. Police sources provided few details of the incident, but said the two officers were working undercover near Vermont Avenue and Leeward at about 9:15 p.m. when they witnessed some kind of gang-related shooting.
Two suspected gang members were arrested Thursday in connection with the attempted murder of a 25-year-old Garden Grove man in a gang-related shooting earlier this month, police said. Francisco Sanchez, 20, and a 14-year-old male juvenile, both of Anaheim, are being held in the Aug. 13 attack on Alosio Fagamau Atonio. Atonio was shot five times in the upper body as he sat in a truck on the 300 block of Kodiak Street. He survived and has since been released from a hospital, Anaheim Police Sgt.
June 27, 1988
One man was killed and his two companions were injured when a gunman in a passing car fired on the group early Sunday as they drank beer in a parking lot near Griffith Park, police said. The shooting at Riverside Drive and Los Feliz Boulevard stemmed from a gang rivalry, police said. The dead man, 21, was struck in the chest by a shotgun blast fired from a silver Honda just before 1 a.m., investigators said. He was not identified pending notification of relatives.
A 17-year-old boy was arrested Wednesday in the weekend shooting deaths of two young brothers who had just left a Compton party, police said. The brothers, 12-year-old Bobby Millan and 14-year-old Mario Millan, were killed late Saturday night by assault weapon shots fired from a car that was chasing the truck in which they rode. The motive for the shooting was gang-related, Compton police said. Detectives identified the suspected killer and obtained an arrest warrant for him Wednesday afternoon.
September 15, 2000 | H.G. REZA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A 17-year-old suspect was arrested Thursday in the killing of an Irvine teenager in what police said was a gang-related shooting that erupted in the neighborhood of a Fullerton country club. Fullerton detectives arrested the suspect without incident at 10 a.m. at a Norwalk residence, Sgt. Joe Klein said. His identity is being withheld because he is a juvenile, but Klein said he was being held at Orange County Juvenile Hall on suspicion of killing Russell Su, 18.
July 13, 1986
A19-year-old North Hollywood man died early Saturday after being shot outside a Pacoima convenience store Friday night in an apparent gang-related shooting, Los Angeles police said. Joe Tony Venegas was shot once in the upper body at about 11 p.m. at the Arco AM-PM Mini Market at 13150 Osborne St., apparently by rival gang members, Detective Cliff Ruff said. Venegas was taken by friends to Serra Memorial Health Center, where he died about 12:30 a.m., police said.
Los Angeles Times Articles