March 24, 2008 |
AT 6 a.m., the hospital's bright hallway lights flicker on, signaling the start of a new day. Doctors in crisp business clothes appear on their early-morning rounds, and the clang of breakfast carts will soon echo through the unit. For registered nurse Liberty Bunag, however, it's finally time to go home and sleep. She began her shift 12 hours ago with an extra-large coffee and since has consumed a liter of caffeinated soda, more coffee and lots of rice, her personal energy food. Sometimes she and the other nurses on the orthopedic ward of White Memorial Medical Center in Los Angeles practice foreign languages to stay alert, squelching the yawns and drowsiness -- the body's way of protesting this nocturnal activity.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 24, 2006 |
Nearly 1,300 inmates at nine California prisons have been stricken with gastroenteritis, according to corrections officials, who remain stumped by the source of the bacterial outbreak. Some inmates have been hospitalized, but most have been treated in their cells for vomiting, fever, headaches, diarrhea and cramping caused by Campylobacter bacteria. A small number of staff members also have become ill.
December 1, 1996
AMDL Inc., a biomedical company, said the Food and Drug Administration asked the firm to withdraw its application to sell a test for a stomach-irritating bacteria until it provides additional clinical data. AMDL's test, PyloriProbe, is designed to detect the presence of H. pylori, which is associated with ulcers. AMDL said additional studies of PyloriProbe are in progress and that it plans to resubmit its application with the FDA. PyloriProbe is only available for distribution outside the U.S.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 18, 1996 |
Long-term use of a widely prescribed heartburn drug called Prilosec may be hazardous if patients are also infected with a common bacterium linked to both stomach ulcers and cancer. Although the drug relieves severe heartburn by suppressing the production of stomach acid, the lower acid levels allow the bacteria to cause more inflammation, a Dutch team reports in the April 18 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.
March 12, 2001 |
My wife and I are at a large newsstand, one of those places that sells every magazine published on the planet. We drift apart, browsing. I wander over to a certain section, where I spy a publication that piques my interest, though I don't want anyone to see me reading it. I turn my back, leaf through the pages, wide-eyed. I've never seen anything quite like this. Suddenly, I'm startled by my wife's voice. "Honey," she asks, "why are you reading Digestive Health and Nutrition?"
April 1, 2002 |
Botox is remarkably safe, especially considering it's a powerful toxin. Occasionally, a mild headache that lasts a few hours may occur after an injection in muscles of the forehead. Very rarely, though, that headache may become excruciating and can last as long as a month.