November 5, 2000
Re "Washington Caved In to Turkey Over Armenia," by Johnathan Clarke, Commentary, Oct. 27: The British government's position regarding the Armenian allegations [of genocide], as declared at the House of Lords on July 13, is as follows: "In the absence of unequivocal evidence to show that the Ottoman administration took a specific decision to eliminate the Armenians, British governments have not recognized the events of 1915-16 as genocide." The British attempt at the end of World War I to punish Ottoman officials on the charges of massacre ended with the dropping of all charges due to the lack of evidence.
April 10, 2004
Samantha Power ("Remember the Blood Frenzy of Rwanda," Opinion, April 4) and many other commentators who address this tragedy seem to spend all their time blaming the U.S. and analyzing what went wrong in the State Department. Please, not one person in the U.S. took up a machete. After what our country had just gone through in Somalia, how can anyone blame the government for a failure to act in Rwanda? The State Department had been warned for years that something "might" happen in Rwanda, and by the time the killing started in earnest and the scope of it was understood, it is not at all clear that the U.S. could have done anything to stop it, even if the powers that be had had the information necessary to make such a decision.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 25, 1987 |
When George Apelian knocked at the door of the Turkish Consulate on Wilshire Boulevard on Friday, no one answered. He knocked again, rang the bell, and finally, pounded with his fist. "It's April 24," he said in frustration. "We are here again." For Armenians like Apelian, April 24 is the Day of Remembrance for the genocide of Armenians by the Ottoman Turks. Armenians say 1.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 13, 2013 |
A charity walk to raise money and awareness for survivors of genocide around the world will take place Sunday in the Fairfax district. The seventh annual Walk to End Genocide will start at Pan Pacific Park in the 7600 block of Beverly Boulevard. Events start at 9 a.m. and will end by 2 p.m. The walk is being sponsored by Jewish World Watch. The walk is a 5K (just over 3 miles) around the park on paved surfaces. Registration fees are $12 for students and $20 for adults. Money raised from the event goes toward helping survivors of genocide and mass atrocities rebuild their lives through various relief projects, which can include everything from education to medical aid. The people of the Sudan and Congo are among the beneficiaries. The walk will be followed by a Global Village fair that will include food and craft booths, music and performances by spoken-word artists.
February 21, 2013 |
A year after her first trial ended without a verdict, a Rwandan-born woman was convicted by a second jury Thursday of lying about her role in Rwanda's 1994 genocide to gain entry to the United States. A judge immediately stripped 43-year-old Beatrice Munyenyezi of her citizenship, 10 years after she was granted it in the same Concord, N.H., courthouse where her two trials took place. Munyenyezi became the fourth member of her family to be convicted of crimes stemming from Rwanda's 1994 political turmoil and genocide, which left hundreds of thousands of people dead across the East African nation.
March 6, 2004 |
A Rwandan court sentenced nine people to death and one to life imprisonment in the killing of a survivor who was due to testify about their role in the country's 1994 genocide, officials said. The court ruled that the defendants were guilty of killing Emile Ntahimana last year in the province of Gikongoro. Prosecutors said Ntahimana was among four genocide survivors who were later killed to stop them from giving evidence. Extremist Hutus killed about 800,000 people in the genocide.
July 23, 2004 |
The House unanimously passed a resolution declaring that genocide was occurring in Sudan's Darfur region, where Arab militias are accused of attacking black Africans. Resolution backers hope to pressure the United Nations to take action. The measure urges President Bush to seek U.N. sanctions, a multinational force and an investigative body. The Senate has not acted.
August 10, 2004 |
The European Union said it had found no evidence of genocide in the Sudanese region of Darfur, although it said killing was widespread, with little evidence of government efforts to protect civilians. The conclusion of a fact-finding mission put the EU at odds with the U.S. Congress, which has leveled accusations of genocide at Sudan over a campaign of looting and burning by Arab militiamen against village farmers. Sudan says the militiamen are outlaws and denies charges of arming them.
December 24, 1996
Rwandan authorities have arrested at least 500 Hutu refugees accused of genocide among the 340,000 who have returned from Tanzania this month, U.N. officials said. Anne Willem Bijleveld, an official with the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, said the refugees were arrested in northeastern Rwanda in connection with the 1994 genocide of about 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus. A Hutu refugee lobby group said the returnees were being arrested on the basis of false testimony.
January 8, 2003 |
Rwandan President Paul Kagame issued a decree releasing up to 40,000 inmates, including thousands of genocide suspects. The move has enraged survivors of the bloodshed, which claimed the lives of more than 800,000 people in 1994. The decree, which does not cover the leaders of the genocide, is meant to reduce the number of prisoners in jail.