Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsGenocide
IN THE NEWS

Genocide

OPINION
November 19, 2011 | Patt Morrison
Luis Moreno-Ocampo has more than a billion clients. He is the first prosecutor for the International Criminal Court, whose authority to prosecute those who commit crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide is acknowledged by more than 110 nations. (But not the United States -- the U.S. signed the treaty, and then "unsigned" it.) Before he joined the ICC, he was famous for prosecuting politicians and generals for mass murder in his native Argentina. With his nine-year ICC term nearly finished, the first of the international cases he's filed -- against Congolese warlord Thomas Lubanga -- still awaits a verdict.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 30, 2011 | By Jason Wells, Los Angeles Times
A planned parade by an Ottoman military marching band in Hollywood has been canceled because of objections by Armenian groups who said the event was an affront to victims of the 1915-1918 Armenian genocide. The genocide claimed the lives of about 1.2 million Armenians under the Ottoman Empire, which became the modern-day republic of Turkey. The Turkish government disputes that a genocide took place. The permit for the parade, scheduled for next Monday on Hollywood Boulevard, was pulled Wednesday, an official at the Los Angeles Police Commission said.
WORLD
August 19, 2011 | By Christopher Goffard, Los Angeles Times
Issa Munyangaju is willing to tell his story, but he requires a beer. He sips a Primus in a dim concrete bar and talks about the houseboy he shot during the genocide. They were friends, he says, until they came to a roadblock manned by Hutu militiamen. They gave Munyangaju, also Hutu, a gun. They told him he would be killed if he didn't execute his friend, whose ethnic group, the Tutsis, had been targeted for extermination. "I followed their orders," Munyangaju, 44, says. He put a bullet in the young man's stomach, and was within earshot when another shot finished him off. While he was in prison, government officials visited to tout the benefits of confessing at a type of trial known as gacaca (pronounced ga-CHA-cha)
ENTERTAINMENT
July 31, 2011 | By Steve Terill, Special to the Los Angeles Times
— Beneath a star-filled African sky, crowds of city dwellers and rural farmers gather before a giant inflatable screen. It's movie night in Rwanda and thousands have come to see films selected in this year's Rwanda Film Festival. Most of them have never seen a motion picture on a large screen before and for many this will be the first feature-length film they have ever seen — in any format. Seventeen years after the genocide that tore this country apart — killing more than 800,000 in just 100 days — there is a palpable sense of renewal in Rwanda.
WORLD
June 27, 2011 | By Brendan Brady, Los Angeles Times
As a U.N.-backed Cambodian tribunal opens Monday to try former Khmer Rouge leaders charged with genocide, critics accuse the Cambodian government of meddling and the United Nations of failing to uphold the court's independence. Standing trial are the four highest-ranking surviving former Khmer Rouge leaders: head of state Khieu Samphan, 79; Foreign Minister Ieng Sary, 85; his wife, Social Affairs Minister Ieng Thirith, 79; and the revolution's chief ideologue, Nuon Chea, 84. They face multiple charges that include war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.
WORLD
May 28, 2011 | By Henry Chu, Los Angeles Times
Jovana Vujcic is too young to remember the war that ravaged the Balkans in the early 1990s but old enough now to experience its baleful legacy. "We're labeled as a genocide nation," the 23-year-old Serbian economics student said. "When you travel around Europe and you meet people, they only know those years of our history. " The burden of that past felt a little lighter Friday, a day after Serbian authorities finally captured Ratko Mladic , Europe's most-wanted war crimes suspect.
WORLD
May 27, 2011 | By Henry Chu, Los Angeles Times
A judge ruled Friday that captured war crimes suspect Ratko Mladic is fit for extradition to The Hague to face charges of genocide and crimes against humanity. Mladic now has three days to appeal the decision. Mladic's son, Darko, told reporters that his father was "very, very frail," with the right half of his body numbed. He called for independent medical experts to examine his 69-year-old father. Photos: Ratko Mladic The arrest of Mladic, the Bosnian Serb general accused of overseeing Europe's worst massacre since World War II, is a milestone in Serbia's effort to end long years as a pariah, even as it renews disturbing questions about how he evaded capture for more than 15 years.
WORLD
May 26, 2011 | By Henry Chu, Los Angeles Times
Ratko Mladic, the Bosnian Serb general accused of overseeing the worst massacre in Europe since the end of World War II, has been arrested, Serbian authorities said Thursday. Mladic is Europe's most wanted war crimes suspect for his alleged role in the 1995 slaughter of 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys in the enclave of Srebrenica, an atrocity that came to symbolize the brutality of the Balkans conflict. The war crimes tribunal in The Hague wants to try Mladic on charges of genocide.
OPINION
April 26, 2011
Leading the circus Re "Duck, it's The Donald!" Opinion, April 19 Why is it that every time I read an article on Donald Trump, I have visions of P.T. Barnum? It's bad enough that we are subjected to his ego-mercial "Celebrity Apprentice. " But now we have to listen to this twice-bankrupted celebrity wannabe, who inherited part of his fortune from his father, tell us of his business acumen. Do we have to tolerate his bid for attention as he continuously questions the birthplace of our president, a scheme logic would dictate required an enormous conspiracy on all levels that started more than 40 years ago?
OPINION
April 20, 2011 | Tim Rutten
The line between prudence and moral cowardice can be a fine one, particularly when it comes to the conduct of diplomacy. For Americans, the question of where and how to make such distinctions has a particular urgency this week, as we commemorate the 96th anniversary of the genocide inflicted on the Armenians by the Ottoman Turks. In massacres from 1915 to 1923, more than 1.5 million Armenians were killed and eastern Anatolia was ethnically cleansed of a people whose presence there extended back to antiquity.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|