Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsGolden Boy Promotions
IN THE NEWS

Golden Boy Promotions

FEATURED ARTICLES
SPORTS
September 26, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. settled some of their differences Tuesday when the world's top two pound-for-pound boxers struck a deal for Pacquiao to drop the defamation lawsuit he filed against Mayweather. Pacquiao slapped Mayweather with the lawsuit in December 2009 when Mayweather accused the Filpino star of using performance-enhancing drugs. A statement obtained by The Times and released by Mayweather Jr., his father and uncle/trainer Roger Mayweather, said the men “wish to make it clear that they never intended to claim that Manny Pacquiao has used or is using any performance-enhancing drugs.
ARTICLES BY DATE
SPORTS
April 24, 2014 | By Lance Pugmire
There's a substantial difference of opinion between the man who runs Golden Boy Promotions and the former world-champion boxer the Los Angeles-based company is named after. A day after Golden Boy President Oscar De La Hoya said he wanted to re-start business with his former promoter and rival, Top Rank promotions Chairman Bob Arum, Golden Boy's Chief Executive Richard Schaefer said he doesn't. In a lengthy telephone conversation with The Times on Tuesday, De La Hoya said, “If anyone with Golden Boy has any differences with Bob, it's on them.
Advertisement
SPORTS
November 16, 2004 | Steve Springer, Times Staff Writer
Oscar De La Hoya and Richard Schaefer, head of De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, were unable Monday to finalize an agreement to become Bernard Hopkins' promoters. A news conference to announce the deal had been scheduled for today but was postponed as negotiations with the undisputed middleweight champion continued. There are no plans for Hopkins, who defeated De La Hoya in September, to fight him again. Any agreement involving Hopkins and Golden Boy would be purely a promotional contract.
SPORTS
April 22, 2014 | By Lance Pugmire
Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions hasn't worked on a fight of substance with his former promoter and on-again, off-again rival, Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, in five years. But De La Hoya, declaring himself “back and better than ever” as the president of Golden Boy, told The Times on Tuesday that he recently engaged Arum in conversation about ending boxing's cold war that has blocked several attractive fights from happening. One fight that De La Hoya says he's interested in pursuing is a super-bout between Arum's star fighter, Manny Pacquiao, and Golden Boy's top star, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.
SPORTS
March 1, 2007 | Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer
Oscar De La Hoya and his chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions helped lure boxer Manny Pacquiao into signing a multi-fight contract by delivering to him a suitcase stuffed with $250,000 in cash as a signing bonus at a Beverly Hills steakhouse in September, Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach said Wednesday. "Manny told me he wanted a signing bonus, and I relayed that to Golden Boy," Roach said. "They negotiated a deal and they gave him the signing bonus, and some of it was in cash in a suitcase."
SPORTS
September 9, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
Oscar De La Hoya, in keeping with his routine of picking a string of Golden Boy Promotions fighters who've taken on Floyd Mayweather Jr., has predicted Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will knock Mayweather out Saturday sometime around the eighth round. Mayweather, amplifying the disdain he has displayed toward the boxer with whom he created the richest pay-per-view bout in the sport's history in 2007, has answered back in a personal way. In a discussion with The Times late last month touching on many topics, Mayweather Jr. (44-0)
SPORTS
February 25, 2014 | By Lance Pugmire
Last month, Adrien Broner exercised a rematch clause to pursue the World Boxing Council and World Boxing Assn. welterweight belts that he lost Dec. 14 to Marcos Maidana. The move was jarring to many who watched Maidana twice knock down Broner - once through the ropes - en route to a unanimous-decision victory in San Antonio. How intently Broner (27-1, 22 knockouts) or his manager Al Haymon actually wanted that fight is a lingering question now that Haymon helped coordinate the May 3 bout between his fighters Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Maidana.
SPORTS
March 6, 2014 | By Lance Pugmire, This story has been corrected. See below
World light-middleweight champion Carlos Molina was arrested in Las Vegas earlier this week, but is in the process of being released Thursday morning to keep his Saturday night title defense against Jermall Charlo on the “Canelo” Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo card, according to the fight card's promoter. “He's being processed out of jail as of now, and I'm being told the fight was on,” said Richard Schaefer, chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions. Schaefer is promoting the fight while Molina is actually promoted by Leon Margules of Warrior Boxing, who has given Schaefer assurances that Molina will appear at a 1 p.m. Thursday news conference in Las Vegas, and will fight Charlo (17-0, 13 KOs)
SPORTS
June 20, 2003 | Steve Springer, Times Staff Writer
Featherweight Marco Antonio Barrera has an agreement in principle to join forces with Oscar De La Hoya, a significant union of two of boxing's most powerful figures. "We have formed a partnership with Golden Boy Promotions," said Barrera, referring to De La Hoya's promotional organization. It's not as simple as that because Barrera is still in the midst of legal proceedings to break away from his previous promoter, John Jackson of Forum Boxing, and his previous manager, Ricardo Maldonado.
SPORTS
October 26, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
Adrien Broner (27-0, 22 knockouts) may be a brash undefeated welterweight world champion, but he apparently is not big enough to merit a pay-per-view card from Las Vegas' MGM Grand yet. Golden Boy Promotions and Showtime announced Saturday that Broner's Dec. 14 fight against Argentina's Marcos Maidana (34-3, 31 KOs) is moving to San Antonio's Alamodome and will be televised on Showtime. The card will include a previously scheduled and now moved fight between Jesus Soto-Karass and Keith Thurman.
SPORTS
March 6, 2014 | By Lance Pugmire, This story has been corrected. See below
World light-middleweight champion Carlos Molina was arrested in Las Vegas earlier this week, but is in the process of being released Thursday morning to keep his Saturday night title defense against Jermall Charlo on the “Canelo” Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo card, according to the fight card's promoter. “He's being processed out of jail as of now, and I'm being told the fight was on,” said Richard Schaefer, chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions. Schaefer is promoting the fight while Molina is actually promoted by Leon Margules of Warrior Boxing, who has given Schaefer assurances that Molina will appear at a 1 p.m. Thursday news conference in Las Vegas, and will fight Charlo (17-0, 13 KOs)
SPORTS
February 25, 2014 | By Lance Pugmire
Last month, Adrien Broner exercised a rematch clause to pursue the World Boxing Council and World Boxing Assn. welterweight belts that he lost Dec. 14 to Marcos Maidana. The move was jarring to many who watched Maidana twice knock down Broner - once through the ropes - en route to a unanimous-decision victory in San Antonio. How intently Broner (27-1, 22 knockouts) or his manager Al Haymon actually wanted that fight is a lingering question now that Haymon helped coordinate the May 3 bout between his fighters Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Maidana.
SPORTS
December 17, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
Floyd Mayweather Jr. left HBO and created the most lucrative pay-per-view fight of all time in September when he defeated Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on Showtime. That's a departure that still stings HBO. Yet, the premium network rallied in the final months of 2013 with new stars like Southland-trained Ruslan Provodnikov, Gennady Golovkin and Mikey Garcia emerging. And despite an ongoing boycott of the deep Golden Boy Promotions stable of fighters dating to March 18, HBO Sports President Ken Hershman isn't expecting to be shuttled out of his office anytime during what he assesses will be a big 2014 for his company.
SPORTS
October 31, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
Should Gennady Golovkin get through the Saturday night challenge of middleweight contender Curtis Stevens in Brooklyn, the Russian world middleweight champion is aiming to fight four times in 2014. If he can find four guys who'll fight him. The 31-year-old Golovkin (27-0, 24 knockouts) takes a streak of 14 consecutive knockouts to the Saturday bout on HBO, and his 89% knockout percentage is the best among any world champion. Golovkin, who trains in Big Bear for San Gabriel Valley resident Abel Sanchez, showed strides by knocking out Matthew Macklin with a third-round body shot in June.
SPORTS
October 26, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
Adrien Broner (27-0, 22 knockouts) may be a brash undefeated welterweight world champion, but he apparently is not big enough to merit a pay-per-view card from Las Vegas' MGM Grand yet. Golden Boy Promotions and Showtime announced Saturday that Broner's Dec. 14 fight against Argentina's Marcos Maidana (34-3, 31 KOs) is moving to San Antonio's Alamodome and will be televised on Showtime. The card will include a previously scheduled and now moved fight between Jesus Soto-Karass and Keith Thurman.
SPORTS
September 16, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
Floyd Mayweather Jr. issued an apology Monday night for a photo and captions on his Instagram account ridiculing Oscar De La Hoya's time in a treatment facility. “It's unfortunate that a stupid picture was posted to my Instagram account earlier today that was not posted by me or authorized by me to post,” Mayweather said in the statement e-mailed to reporters by his publicist's firm. Above a photo of a distraught-appearing De La Hoya, the headline “MEANWHILE IN REHAB” is followed by words below the photo that say, “OSCAR: I gave Canelo the wrong blueprint I was high.” Mayweather has previously ripped De La Hoya's lifestyle, and has chided his former rival's ability to craft a blueprint to beat Mayweather for his Golden Boy Promotions fighters, including Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, who was outclassed Saturday night in a majority decision victory by Mayweather in Las Vegas.
SPORTS
August 19, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
The promoter for Amir Khan and Devon Alexander said Monday the two have agreed to a welterweight fight Dec. 7, with the venue to be determined. Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions said he is awaiting word from officials in Dubai to see whether they have the “full capacity” to stage the International Boxing Federation title fight. If they don't, Schaefer said the bout will be at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. “Both of them want to fight this year,” Schaefer said.
SPORTS
September 11, 2012 | By Lance Pugmire
It's personal, it's business, it's boxing. Saturday night, the two most popular Mexican fighters will headline opposing cards in Las Vegas as rival promoters Top Rank and Golden Boy continue to duke it out. Top Rank's world middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-0-1) will have his greatest test, meeting Argentina's former champion and 2010 fighter of the year Sergio Martinez at Thomas & Mack Center. Down Tropicana Avenue at MGM Grand, Golden Boy's super-welterweight champion, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (40-0-1)
SPORTS
September 11, 2013 | Bill Dwyre
LAS VEGAS - It seemed to be a warmer, friendlier Floyd Mayweather Jr. who did his last dance with the media Wednesday before Saturday's fight with Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. This may also represent the first time the words "warmer" and "friendlier" have been used as adjectives for Mayweather. The occasion was the usual big-fight Wednesday news conference. These things traditionally represent a last public forum for boxers to growl at each other, say ridiculous things and display unseemly braggadocio.
SPORTS
September 9, 2013 | By Lance Pugmire
Oscar De La Hoya, in keeping with his routine of picking a string of Golden Boy Promotions fighters who've taken on Floyd Mayweather Jr., has predicted Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will knock Mayweather out Saturday sometime around the eighth round. Mayweather, amplifying the disdain he has displayed toward the boxer with whom he created the richest pay-per-view bout in the sport's history in 2007, has answered back in a personal way. In a discussion with The Times late last month touching on many topics, Mayweather Jr. (44-0)
Los Angeles Times Articles
|