Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsGuinea
IN THE NEWS

Guinea

NEWS
July 10, 1985 | RICHARD EDER, Times Book Critic
Fair of Speech, edited by D. J. Enright (Oxford: $15.95) I have not even begun to write this review and already, according to one of the contributors to "Fair of Speech," I have committed euphemism. Up above there, in that line of gnat-size type listing the price; $15.95 indeed. As everyone knows, that is only a way of making $16 seem less. It is publishing's hallowed equivalent of the guinea fee charged by British barristers and brain surgeons.
Advertisement
NATIONAL
November 22, 2011 | By Alexa Vaughn, Washington Bureau
Legislation that would make it more difficult to cover up the causes of deaths in jails, prisons and private detention centers appears poised to pass Congress after years of unreported abuse, particularly in facilities housing immigration detainees. Last week, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved the Death in Custody Reporting Act, which would make it mandatory for all public and private prisons, jails and boot camps to report deaths and their causes to the Justice Department.
WORLD
January 28, 2007 | From Times Wire Reports
Union leaders called off an 18-day general strike after completing an agreement with the government to appoint a consensus prime minister and reduce the prices of fuel and rice. The strike, which has left at least 59 people dead and brought this West African nation to an economic standstill, was one of the biggest challenges yet to President Lansana Conte's government.
WORLD
December 25, 2003 | From Times Wire Reports
Guinean President Lansana Conte was reelected, eclipsing a little-known challenger in a vote snubbed by the main opposition parties, official results showed. Minister for Territorial Administration Moussa Solano told state media that Conte had won 95.63% of the votes Sunday, leaving rival Mamadou Bhoye Barry with just 4.37%. Conte has ruled with an iron fist since seizing power in the former French colony in a 1984 coup.
WORLD
February 25, 2007 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Martial law ended overnight, and there were fewer soldiers on the streets of the capital, Conakry, but many residents fear trouble this week after the army ordered an end to a nationwide strike. Union leaders say President Lansana Conte is unfit to govern and have initiated strikes to force concessions from him.
WORLD
February 18, 2007 | From Times Wire Reports
Unions called off talks with the government aimed at ending protests in which more than 120 people have died, saying they would not negotiate until President Lansana Conte lifted martial law. Union leaders had been due to meet senior government officials amid growing international calls for Conte to end his 5-day-old state of emergency and negotiate a political settlement with unions opposed to his 23-year rule. The U.N. allocated $2.
WORLD
May 4, 2008 | From Times Wire Reports
More than 30 prisoners escaped from a jail in Nzerekore by using spoons to scoop a hole in the baked earth wall of their prison building, which had been softened by rain, prison authorities in the African nation said. "They used their sheets and shirts to make a rope to climb down the right wall of the jail," an official said.
WORLD
March 3, 2009 | Robyn Dixon
Military leaders in Guinea-Bissau pledged to restore order and democracy in the tiny West African nation Monday after the assassination of President Joao Bernardo Vieira by soldiers, just hours after the army chief was killed in a bombing. Vieira and the head of the joint chiefs of staff, Gen. Batiste Tagme na Waie, were fierce rivals, and there was speculation that the president was killed to avenge Waie's death.
NEWS
June 19, 1986 | Associated Press
President Reagan on Wednesday nominated James Rentschler, a career Foreign Service officer, as ambassador to the African nation of Guinea.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|