Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsHanson Industries
IN THE NEWS

Hanson Industries

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
August 25, 1995 | MYRNA OLIVER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Gordon White, a British peer and the colorful chairman and acknowledged deal-maker of Hanson Industries, the American arm of the British-U.S. conglomerate Hanson PLC, has died. He was 72. White, who had homes in Bel-Air, Bermuda and elsewhere in the world, died Wednesday at UCLA Medical Center of a rare fungal lung disease.
ARTICLES BY DATE
BUSINESS
January 31, 1996 | From Times Wire Services
U.S.-British industrial giant Hanson said Tuesday that it will split into four companies in a bid to streamline its business and boost profits. The move completes a breakup that began last year, when Hanson spun off 34 U.S. businesses with sales of about $3 billion to form U.S. Industries Inc. The four companies will cover the areas of energy, chemicals, tobacco, and building materials and equipment.
Advertisement
BUSINESS
August 16, 1986 | Associated Press
Hanson Industries said Friday that it has agreed to sell most of the Glidden coatings and resins business of its SCM Corp. unit to Britain's largest industrial company, Imperial Chemical Industries PLC, for $580 million. SCM, whose coatings include paints sold under the Glidden and Spred Satin names, was acquired in March by Hanson Industries' parent company, Hanson Trust PLC of Britain, for $930 million. Hanson Industries said it agreed to sell Glidden's U.S.
BUSINESS
January 31, 1996 | From Times Wire Services
U.S.-British industrial giant Hanson said Tuesday that it will split into four companies in a bid to streamline its business and boost profit. The move completes a breakup that began last year, when Hanson spun off 34 U.S. businesses with sales of about $3 billion to form U.S. Industries Inc. The four companies will cover the areas of energy, chemicals, tobacco, and building materials and equipment.
BUSINESS
January 16, 1988
Roy Jacuzzi has been named president and chief executive of Jacuzzi Inc., a unit of Hanson Industries, the U.S. arm of Hanson PLC. Jacuzzi, 44, previously was president and chief executive of Jacuzzi Whirlpool Bath, the domestic bath and spa operations of the corporation. Jacuzzi Inc., headquartered in Walnut Creek, was acquired by Hanson Industries in 1987.
BUSINESS
February 15, 1990 | From Times Wire Services
British conglomerate Hanson PLC said today its U.S. arm was buying a 45% stake in Peabody Holding Co. Inc., the largest coal producer in the United States, for $504 million in cash. Sir Gordon White, chairman of Hanson Industries, called the purchase "an attractive investment." Hanson Industries agreed to buy the Peabody holdings of three U.S. shareholders, Boeing Co., Bechtel Investments Inc. and energy company Eastern Enterprises. U.S.-based Newmont Mining Corp.
BUSINESS
January 5, 1987
Announcing the successful conclusion of its offer of $27.50 a share, Hanson Industries said it was notified that 5.6 million shares had been tendered, giving it a total of about 79% of Kaiser. Both Hanson and Kaiser said they did not know whether Los Angeles investor David Murdock had tendered Kaiser shares, previously reported as representing 22% of stock. Murdock could not be reached for comment.
BUSINESS
June 6, 1989
Hanson Selling Smith Corona Shares: Hanson PLC, which took over Smith Corona Corp. in 1986, announced that it plans a public offering of up to 15.75 million shares of its subsidiary. Hanson, which said it had filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission for approval of the offering, said it expected the shares to sell for between $23 and $25 each. The proceeds of the offering will go to Hanson, the company said in a statement. If all of the 15.75 million shares are sold, Hanson will retain approximately 46.3% of the stock in typewriter maker Smith Corona.
NEWS
August 25, 1995 | MYRNA OLIVER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Gordon White, a British peer and the colorful chairman and acknowledged deal-maker of Hanson Industries, the American arm of the British-U.S. conglomerate Hanson PLC, has died. He was 72. White, who had homes in Bel-Air, Bermuda and elsewhere in the world, died Wednesday at UCLA Medical Center of a rare fungal lung disease.
BUSINESS
February 23, 1995 | From Associated Press
Hanson, the Anglo-American industrial conglomerate, readied itself Wednesday to make further acquisitions by announcing a plan to spin off U.S. companies and reduce its debt. Hanson said it will place 34 subsidiaries, which include Jacuzzi Whirlpool Baths, Farberware Cookware, Ames Hardware Tools, into a group that will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange. The components of the new company, to be called U.S. Industries Inc., together had sales of nearly $3 billion last year.
BUSINESS
June 8, 1992 | From Associated Press
Hanson PLC, the British-U.S. conglomerate, plans to sell non-core businesses that it values at more than $1 billion, according to a published report. Hanson is considering selling majority stakes in such U.S. businesses as Jacuzzi, the whirlpool bath and hot-tub maker, and Beazer's U.S. house-building interests, the Financial Times said. David Clarke, chief executive of Hanson Industries, the company's North American branch, said the U.S.
BUSINESS
June 5, 1992 | From Reuters
Olympia & York Developments Ltd. staved off its first foreclosure in the United States on Thursday when a group of banks decided to delay seizing part of the collateral backing a $160-million loan that is in default, bankers said. The banks had planned to seize and auction a swap agreement, but after a last-minute discussion with O & Y, they decided to postpone the action until June 18.
BUSINESS
May 12, 1990 | Associated Press
Amax Inc., the nation's third-largest coal producer, made a $1.25-billion offer Friday for industry leader Peabody Holding Co., raising the possibility of a bidding war with a major Peabody investor. The bid was rejected immediately by Hanson Industries, which owns 45% of Peabody and is attempting to buy the rest. Hanson responded by raising its offer for the Peabody shares it doesn't own. The remaining 55% of St. Louis-based Peabody is owned by Newmont Mining Corp. of Denver.
BUSINESS
February 15, 1990 | From Times Wire Services
British conglomerate Hanson PLC said today its U.S. arm was buying a 45% stake in Peabody Holding Co. Inc., the largest coal producer in the United States, for $504 million in cash. Sir Gordon White, chairman of Hanson Industries, called the purchase "an attractive investment." Hanson Industries agreed to buy the Peabody holdings of three U.S. shareholders, Boeing Co., Bechtel Investments Inc. and energy company Eastern Enterprises. U.S.-based Newmont Mining Corp.
BUSINESS
January 31, 1996 | From Times Wire Services
U.S.-British industrial giant Hanson said Tuesday that it will split into four companies in a bid to streamline its business and boost profit. The move completes a breakup that began last year, when Hanson spun off 34 U.S. businesses with sales of about $3 billion to form U.S. Industries Inc. The four companies will cover the areas of energy, chemicals, tobacco, and building materials and equipment.
BUSINESS
May 12, 1990 | Associated Press
Amax Inc., the nation's third-largest coal producer, made a $1.25-billion offer Friday for industry leader Peabody Holding Co., raising the possibility of a bidding war with a major Peabody investor. The bid was rejected immediately by Hanson Industries, which owns 45% of Peabody and is attempting to buy the rest. Hanson responded by raising its offer for the Peabody shares it doesn't own. The remaining 55% of St. Louis-based Peabody is owned by Newmont Mining Corp. of Denver.
BUSINESS
July 30, 1989 | JUBE SHIVER Jr., Times Staff Writer
With mergers and acquisitions sweeping the nation, it was probably only a matter of time before this small town's biggest company, Cummins Engine Co.
BUSINESS
July 18, 1989 | From the Associated Press
Members of Cummins Engine Co.'s founding family paid $72 million for Hanson PLC's holdings in the company, ending speculation that the British conglomerate might try to take over the diesel-engine maker, officials said Monday. The family members then exchanged the shares with Cummins for $67 million in notes, the officials said. Hanson Industries, the American arm of Hanson, maintained all along that its purchase of 9.79% of Cummins stock was for investment purposes only. J.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|