March 25, 2009 |
A parrot whose cries of alarm alerted his owner when a little girl choked on her breakfast has been honored as a hero. Willie, a Quaker parrot, was given the Denver Red Cross chapter's Animal Lifesaver Award last week. In November, Willie's owner, Megan Howard, was baby-sitting a toddler, Hannah. Howard left the room and the little girl started to choke on her breakfast. Willie repeatedly yelled "Mama, baby" and flapped his wings until Howard returned to find Hannah turning blue.
October 30, 2005 |
It was messy. It was ugly. If you listened closely, you could hear grunting and choking and wheezing. Swallowing mistakes is not for the faint of heart or timid of spirit. Frank McCourt proved to be neither Saturday, swallowing a whopper that made him look bad, but will eventually make the Dodgers look good. And that makes it a gulp worth taking.
May 30, 2000 |
The doctor and the lifeguard are each convinced the other is spouting life-threatening nonsense. At issue is how best to save the life of someone pulled unconscious from the water. For 40 years the preferred protocol has been cardiopulmonary resuscitation, including mouth-to-mouth breathing and chest compressions. The doctor is Henry J. Heimlich, 80, the Cincinnati thoracic surgeon who developed a much-acclaimed method for saving choking victims.
April 17, 2000 |
After a recent evening spent sipping cocktails with L.A.'s charming British consul, I couldn't imagine my life getting any more glam. But then, last week, it happened. A famous man rolled into town--a man nearly all of you have heard of. I met him in a restaurant. He stood behind me. Put his arms around me. Then he clenched his fist and shoved it into my gut. I'm sure, if I'd had a piece of steak stuck in my windpipe, it would have flown clear across the room. My mystery man?
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 8, 1997 |
Somewhere deep inside aspiring screenwriter Paul Chepikian's compact body lurks a doctor just aching to reach out and save people from breathtaking emergencies. Just ask the popcorn lady. The 42-year-old Chepikian was attending a Hollywood Bowl concert last month when a Van Nuys woman sitting behind him began choking on a piece of popcorn. As concert-goers watched aghast, Chepikian calmly leaped over his seat and used the Heimlich maneuver to dislodge the popped kernel.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 1, 1995 |
The new year rang in on a happy note for Los Angeles County Fire Dispatcher Eddie Pickett after he helped a 13-year-old baby-sitter save her 4-year-old cousin from choking. At 7:13 p.m., the preschooler's 11-year-old brother called 911 because she was choking on a piece of chicken. Pickett asked him to put the teen-ager on the phone because he thought she would be better able to handle the situation.