February 28, 2014 |
Philip Seymour Hoffman died of an accidental overdose involving a powerful cocktail of drugs, authorities announced Friday. Heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine were found in the actor's system, causing "acute drug intoxication," according to the report from New York's Office of Chief Medical Examiner. Hoffman's body was found Feb. 2 in the bathroom of his New York apartment with a syringe still in his forearm, so confirmation of an overdose wasn't unexpected, though the details shed some further light on the extent of the actor's drug use. Taking heroin with cocaine is known as "speedballing," which also killed stars John Belushi and River Phoenix.
July 23, 1996 |
The message on a pillow in the bedroom she shared with her late rock star husband now serves only to mock Troy Nowell. "Grow Old With Me," reads the stitched lettering. "The Best Is Yet to Be." The former Troy denDekker was married only seven days before Bradley Nowell, her 28-year-old husband and the creative force behind the Long Beach-based punk-ska band Sublime, died of a heroin overdose May 25 in a San Francisco motel room.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2013 |
Prosecutors charged an attorney with half a dozen felony counts for allegedly trying to smuggle heroin into an L.A. County jail inside a greeting card. Stephen Beecher, 61, who was arrested April 9, faces counts including conspiracy, bringing drugs into jail, transportation of a controlled substance and bringing a firearm into a jail, said Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office. The Sherman Oaks resident was released on bail Thursday and scheduled to be arraigned May 1 in a downtown courtroom.
September 28, 2013 |
A highly addictive drug whose name derives from the green, scaly sores that develop on users' rotting flesh was reported to have found a toehold in the United States this week. In Phoenix, physicians told toxicologists at the Banner Good Samaritan Poison Control Center that they spotted symptoms consistent with krokodil, an intravenous drug that is prevalent in Russia and Eastern European countries, according to a statement released to the Los Angeles Times. Although toxicology reports have yet to confirm the presence of krokodil, reports in the media sounded the alarm, prompting fascination and speculation.
May 31, 2013 |
Philip Seymour Hoffman has left a detox center that he entered to get ahead of drug problems that are said to have been spinning out of control, according to reports. "The Master" actor revealed to TMZ that he'd started using drugs again about a year ago, starting off with prescription pills then escalating to snorting heroin. He said the heroin use only lasted about a week, but he decided to check himself into a detox facility on the East Coast to take control of the problem.
July 11, 2012 |
In the record book of unintended consequences, this one's sure to be a groan-worthy entry: A frightening rise in addiction to the drug OxyContin prompts a reformulation that makes the prescription pain medication harder to abuse. So addicts switch to heroin instead. Clearly, not the hoped-for effect. But according to a letter published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, it's a switch that appears to be happening across the country -- especially in rural and suburban communities, where OxyContin abuse and addiction had gained a firm foothold.