August 1, 1989 |
A state appeals court Monday unanimously upheld the verdicts and sentences for three white youths convicted in the 1986 Howard Beach attack that left a black man dead and inflamed racial tensions in New York City. The five-judge panel noted that the evidence was sufficient to establish that Scott Kern, Jason Ladone and Jon Lester "relentlessly" chased Michael Griffith onto a busy highway where he was struck by a car and killed.
July 16, 1988 |
Four white youths were acquitted Friday of first-degree riot charges in the Howard Beach racial attack that left a black man dead, bringing to a close the second trial stemming from the incident. But three of the youths--William Bollander, 19, James Povinelli, 18, and Thomas Farino, 18--were convicted of second-degree riot, a misdemeanor that carries a penalty of up to one year in prison. The fourth defendant, John Saggese, 20, was cleared of all charges.
June 16, 1988 |
A teen-age girl told a jury Wednesday that she "got scared" as she sat in a car during a confrontation between three black men and white youths charged in a fatal racial attack that took place later the same night at Howard Beach. Claudia Calogero, 17, testified in state Supreme Court in Queens that she had been at a party with the five youths, who are on trial on charges involving the Dec. 20, 1986, attack that left a black man dead.
February 12, 1988 |
After apologizing in court and begging the judge for mercy, Jason Ladone, the last of three defendants convicted in the Howard Beach racial attack case, was sentenced Thursday to 5 to 15 years in prison. The sentence, although substantial, was lighter than those given to previous defendants, Jon Lester and Scott Kern, both 18.
February 6, 1988 |
The second of three teen-agers found guilty in the Howard Beach racial attack was sentenced Friday to six to 18 years in prison. State Supreme Court Justice Thomas Demakos imposed the sentence on Scott Kern, 19, for being among those who chased a black man to his death in traffic on a highway and assaulted his companions. The incident, in December, 1986, has sparked a debate over race relations in New York City as well as street demonstrations by groups of protesters charging racism.
December 26, 1987 |
The driver of the car that struck and killed a black man fleeing from white youths in Howard Beach has sued for libel two black lawyers who accused him of being part of the group, it was reported Friday. Dominic Blum asked for $20 million, charging that lawyers C. Vernon Mason and Alton Maddox had slandered and libeled him by claiming that he was one of the attackers that caused the death of 23-year-old Michael Griffith, the Daily News said, quoting court documents.