Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsHuizar
IN THE NEWS

Huizar

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 29, 2013 | By David Zahniser and James Rainey
The woman who has accused Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar of engaging in sexual harassment filed a lawsuit Tuesday to keep the city from forcing her to provide testimony for a special committee investigating her harassment claims. Michael Eisenberg, the lawyer for former Huizar aide Francine Godoy, said his client received a subpoena last week instructing her to appear as part of an inquiry by the Special Committee on Investigative Oversight, a five-member panel convened last summer in response to her discrimination and sexual harassment complaint.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 25, 2014 | By David Zahniser
The Times filed a motion Friday opposing a court order that would bar public access to records in a sexual harassment case involving Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar. The newspaper said it is seeking to be heard on the public's right to access records in the lawsuit filed last year by former Huizar Deputy Chief of Staff Francine Godoy because the case involves "matters of substantial public interest. " Huizar attorney Dennis Walsh filed paperwork four weeks ago seeking a protective order to prohibit disclosure of "private and sensitive information" until it becomes evidence at trial.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2014 | By David Zahniser and Emily Alpert Reyes
A spokesman for a private law firm representing Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar said Friday that a city investigation into sexual harassment claims against the councilman concluded that the allegations were "baseless. " The investigative report by Batza and Associates, a confidential document provided to the council, has not been released by Huizar to The Times. Huizar's former deputy chief of staff, Francine Godoy, sued him last year, alleging she faced retaliation and discrimination after refusing to provide “sexual favors.” Huizar has said that he and Godoy had a consensual affair and called the accusations “malicious and false.” Godoy initially filed a complaint against Huizar last summer, prompting council President Herb Wesson to convene an investigative committee to look into the allegations and, if necessary, produce a report.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2014 | By Emily Alpert Reyes and David Zahniser
Investigators looking into sexual harassment accusations against Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar "did not locate any evidence to support that the alleged discrimination, retaliation, or harassment occurred," according to a section of their final report. Former Deputy Chief of Staff Francine Godoy sued Huizar last year, alleging she faced retaliation and discrimination after refusing to provide "sexual favors. " Huizar has said that he and Godoy had a consensual affair and called the accusations "malicious and false.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 13, 2013 | By David Zahnizer
An independent panel to investigate complaints lodged by city employees against the city's elected officials will be convened for only the fifth time  in what appears to be an effort to probe sexual harassment allegations against Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar. Council President  Herb Wesson  confirmed that he moved last week to convene the panel, though he declined to say which of the city's 18 elected officials is the target. The Times reported Monday that a woman who was until recently served as Huizar's deputy chief of staff has filed a workplace discrimination and sexual harassment complaint against the city and her former boss, according to information from the state agency that receives such complaints.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 17, 2013 | By David Zahniser
Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar said Thursday that he had a "consensual relationship" with a high-level former staffer who has accused him of waging a campaign of sexual harassment and retaliation against her. Francine Godoy, 34, filed a lawsuit saying that Huizar "significantly" cut back her duties and instructed her to work from home after she spurned his advances. Hours later after the suit was filed, Huizar - through a spokesman - called Godoy's claims "false and malicious," saying that her lawsuit contained "fabricated events.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 10, 2014 | By David Zahniser
The panel charged with looking into sexual harassment claims against Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar has completed its work and forwarded its findings to Council President Herb Wesson. News that the probe is finished comes as the City Council on Friday is scheduled to consider a contract authorizing up to $200,000 in payments to the law firm representing Huizar in a lawsuit filed by his accuser, former Deputy Chief of Staff Francine Godoy. The report, which council members are expected to consider behind closed doors, was prepared by Batza & Associates, an investigative firm that specializes in workplace matters.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2014 | By David Zahniser and Emily Alpert Reyes
Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar and his attorney welcomed the completion of a confidential city investigation into sexual harassment claims against him, saying through a spokesman Friday that the findings supported their assertion that the allegations are "baseless. " The investigative firm Batza & Associates produced a report saying it did not find evidence to support former Huizar aide Francine Godoy's claim that the councilman engaged in discrimination, retaliation, harassment or the creation of a hostile work environment, according to a section of the report obtained by The Times.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 1, 2009 | Howard Blume
Officials have closed a federal investigation into Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar's consulting work for a now-defunct nonprofit linked to organized labor. Huizar had received about $30,000 from the Voter Improvement Program for consulting services he performed in 2003 and 2004 while serving as an elected board member for the Los Angeles Unified School District, according to Huizar's public disclosure forms and sources close to the investigation. Huizar announced Tuesday that investigators had cleared him of further review, and sources with knowledge of the probe confirmed it. In a brief statement, Huizar said, "I will continue to hold myself to the highest ethical standards."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 13, 2013 | David Zahniser
A woman who was until recently Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar's deputy chief of staff has filed a workplace discrimination and sexual harassment complaint against the city and her former boss, according to information from the state agency that receives such complaints. Fahizah Alim, spokeswoman for the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, confirmed that a complaint was filed June 7 against Huizar by Francine Godoy, who left his office four months ago. The complaint, also filed against the city of Los Angeles, preserves Godoy's right to sue in the future.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2014 | By David Zahniser and Emily Alpert Reyes
A spokesman for a private law firm representing Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar said Friday that a city investigation into sexual harassment claims against the councilman concluded that the allegations were "baseless. " The investigative report by Batza and Associates, a confidential document provided to the council, has not been released by Huizar to The Times. Huizar's former deputy chief of staff, Francine Godoy, sued him last year, alleging she faced retaliation and discrimination after refusing to provide “sexual favors.” Huizar has said that he and Godoy had a consensual affair and called the accusations “malicious and false.” Godoy initially filed a complaint against Huizar last summer, prompting council President Herb Wesson to convene an investigative committee to look into the allegations and, if necessary, produce a report.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2014 | By David Zahniser and Emily Alpert Reyes
Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar and his attorney welcomed the completion of a confidential city investigation into sexual harassment claims against him, saying through a spokesman Friday that the findings supported their assertion that the allegations are "baseless. " The investigative firm Batza & Associates produced a report saying it did not find evidence to support former Huizar aide Francine Godoy's claim that the councilman engaged in discrimination, retaliation, harassment or the creation of a hostile work environment, according to a section of the report obtained by The Times.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 10, 2014 | By David Zahniser
The panel charged with looking into sexual harassment claims against Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar has completed its work and forwarded its findings to Council President Herb Wesson. News that the probe is finished comes as the City Council on Friday is scheduled to consider a contract authorizing up to $200,000 in payments to the law firm representing Huizar in a lawsuit filed by his accuser, former Deputy Chief of Staff Francine Godoy. The report, which council members are expected to consider behind closed doors, was prepared by Batza & Associates, an investigative firm that specializes in workplace matters.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 10, 2014 | By David Zahniser
The panel charged with looking into sexual harassment claims against Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar has completed its work and forwarded its findings to Council President Herb Wesson. Council members have scheduled a possible closed-door meeting Friday to discuss the report, which was produced by Batza & Associates, an investigative firm that specializes in workplace matters. The firm's findings will not be publicly released because Huizar is a city employee and employee matters are considered confidential, said Raelynn Napper, equal employment opportunity division manager for the city's Personnel Department.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 2, 2014 | By Emily Alpert Reyes and David Zahniser
Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar wants the city to hold off on issuing permits for a music festival involving Jay Z, saying he needs more information about the Labor Day weekend event. The Budweiser Made in America Festival, which advertises itself as being “curated by Jay Z,” will operate over two days at Grand Park and require downtown sidewalk and street closures, some lasting up to 10 days, according to a council motion submitted by Huizar. Huizar wrote that people in his district and community groups had not been informed about “the specifics of the event,” which he said could draw as many as 50,000 people to downtown.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 2, 2014 | By David Zahniser and Emily Alpert Reyes
The push to bring a major music festival to downtown Los Angeles - one with rapper Jay Z expected to play a creative role - has set off a tussle between two L.A. politicians. Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar contends he was left out of discussions, spearheaded by Mayor Eric Garcetti in recent weeks, over bringing the two-day Budweiser Made in America music festival to Grand Park and the nearby steps of City Hall. Huizar, who represents most of downtown, called for the city to withhold approval of any permits for the Labor Day weekend event until the details are properly vetted.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 10, 2014 | By David Zahniser
The panel charged with looking into sexual harassment claims against Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar has completed its work and forwarded its findings to Council President Herb Wesson. Council members have scheduled a possible closed-door meeting Friday to discuss the report, which was produced by Batza & Associates, an investigative firm that specializes in workplace matters. The firm's findings will not be publicly released because Huizar is a city employee and employee matters are considered confidential, said Raelynn Napper, equal employment opportunity division manager for the city's Personnel Department.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 19, 2014 | By David Zahniser
The Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday voted unanimously to pay $185,000 to end a lawsuit over a rear-end collision involving a city car driven by Councilman Jose Huizar. On a 14-0 vote, council members signed off on the payout to David Ceja, a former Huntington Park police officer whose vehicle was struck by Huizar's city-owned SUV in 2012. The council approved the agreement without comment. Because the settlement was treated as a consent item, lawmakers did not discuss the case -- either in open session or behind closed doors -- during the meeting.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 10, 2014 | David Zahniser
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti's chief of staff ended speculation Monday about her immediate political plans, saying through a spokesman she will not file a challenge to City Councilman Jose Huizar. Ana Guerrero, who has advised Garcetti since his days as a councilman, had been talked up in City Hall circles as a potential challenger to Huizar even though she and her family live in La Crescenta -- outside city limits. "Ana will not be a candidate" for Huizar's seat, said Garcetti spokesman Jeff Millman in an email.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|