October 16, 1987 |
U.S.-backed contras shot down a Sandinista helicopter and attacked four towns in south central Nicaragua in an attempt to cut a strategic highway, government officials said Thursday. Defense Minister Humberto Ortega said that 20 Sandinista troops, including local militiamen, and an undetermined number of contras were killed in the battles, the largest rebel offensive since President Daniel Ortega declared a unilateral cease-fire Oct. 7 in three small zones of the country.
May 14, 1987 |
The leftist Sandinista government confirmed Wednesday that U.S.-backed contras shot down an army helicopter last weekend during heavy fighting in northern Nicaragua. The government previously has denied losing any helicopters to enemy fire. A Defense Ministry statement said that the Soviet-made MI-17 helicopter was shot down during a major offensive against rebels in Jinotega province, about 100 miles northeast of Managua. It said the four crewmen aboard the helicopter were killed.
August 22, 1993 |
Struggling to defuse a crisis that threatens the stability of this violent and polarized country, the Nicaraguan government pressed negotiations Saturday with two groups of gunmen--one Sandinista, the other Contra--who seized the vice president and more than 70 other hostages. The hostage-takers--a leftist group here in the capital and right-wing rebels in the northern mountains--at first hardened their positions and refused to release their captives.
March 21, 1988 |
U.S. State Department spokesman Charles E. Redman said today that all or almost all the Nicaraguan forces have returned to their homeland, and Honduran President Jose Azcona Hoyo said the 3,200 U.S. soldiers on an emergency mission in Honduras probably won't be needed much longer. In Nicaragua, the Sandinista government and the U.S.-backed Contra rebels suspended military operations and began three days of unprecedented, direct peace talks.
May 3, 1985 |
The Sandinista government, making what it has called a peace-seeking gesture toward the United States, said "adios" Thursday to 100 of its Cuban military advisers. And the top Cuban adviser, Gen. Arnoldo Ochoa, chose the occasion to appear in public here for the first time. Ochoa, reputedly the organizer of Cuban military buildups in Angola and Ethiopia during the late 1970s, was first reported to be in Nicaragua in mid-1983.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 16, 1987
The negative, belligerent posture struck by the leaders of Nicaragua in recent days is both ominous and perplexing. It would be a mistake, however, for Congress to rush ahead with additional assistance for the Contras fighting the government of Nicaragua. President Reagan confirmed Tuesday that his conversations with Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev included a commitment to cut off the flow of arms to Nicaragua in exchange for an end to U.S. aid to the Contras.
December 19, 1987 |
Television stations in El Salvador and Honduras are airing a CIA-produced videotape of Nicaraguan army defector Roger Miranda Bengoechea, in which he embraces the Contra cause and accuses Sandinista Defense Minister Humberto Ortega of philandering with the wives of his associates.
July 1, 1988 |
President Daniel Ortega on Thursday extended for another month a cease-fire with U.S.-backed Contras and called for a new round of peace talks in late July. But Ortega, in a toughly worded speech broadcast on local radio, suggested that his Sandinista government is losing patience with alleged Contra violations of the truce in effect since April 1 and branded the rebels "delinquents, terrorists and mercenaries."
September 3, 1988 |
Defense Minister Humberto Ortega charged Friday that the Reagan Administration and the Contras are trying to provoke a clash between Nicaraguan and Honduran forces that would justify U.S. intervention against Nicaragua's Sandinista government. Ortega, brother of President Daniel Ortega, said that the Nicaraguan military is bracing "to counteract this danger of a greater conflict" and warned Contra soldiers camped in Honduras that they will be "annihilated" if they try to resume fighting.
March 9, 1988 |
Top-level cease-fire talks between the Sandinista government and the rebels that were scheduled to start today in southern Nicaragua have been postponed. The leftist Sandinista government accused the U.S.-backed Contras of pulling out suddenly Tuesday under pressure from Washington. However, the Contras said Managua tried to rush the plans for the meeting to make them appear reluctant to negotiate.