October 30, 2009 |
A Rwandan man who was the first person convicted under a law allowing people in Canada to be tried for war crimes committed abroad has been sentenced to life in prison. Desire Munyaneza, 42, was found guilty in May of seven charges, including genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes for his role in the 1994 rape and slaughter of more than 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus in Rwanda. He will not be eligible for parole for 25 years. He was tried under Canada's 7-year-old War Crimes Act.
May 27, 2001 |
A court sentenced 10 people to death and 23 others to life imprisonment for their roles in Rwanda's 1994 genocide, state-run radio reported Saturday. The defendants were convicted of "Class A" crimes--which include organizing militias, leading killings and rape--during the slaying of Tutsis and politically moderate Hutus, Radio Rwanda reported. More than 800,000 people were killed in the massacre organized by the former Hutu government.
March 12, 2004 |
The United Nations acknowledged that an aircraft recording device possibly linked to an air crash blamed for triggering the 1994 genocide in Rwanda had turned up in a U.N. filing cabinet. The Paris daily Le Monde had reported that a recorder from the Falcon 50 shot down by a rocket April 6, 1994, killing the presidents of Rwanda and Burundi, had been sent to the U.N. and never seen again.
December 21, 1996 |
Tanzanian police are suspected of burning down a church and beating Rwandan refugees taking shelter inside to make them join the mass return of Hutus to Rwanda, aid officials said. Twenty-eight Rwandan Hutu refugees staying at the church in the deserted Benaco refugee camp were attacked at night and forced to join a column of refugees trekking toward the Rusumo border crossing into Rwanda, officials in Tanzania said. "Someone went in there and beat them. The church was burned down.
September 15, 1994 |
Clashes between troops and gunmen in Burundi's capital resumed for a second straight day Wednesday. Sources said five gunmen and two soldiers were killed. Witnesses said shooting with automatic weapons in the northern suburb of Kamenge, which broke out Monday night and continued until midnight Tuesday, resumed at dawn Wednesday. Military sources said gunmen attacked troops at Nyabiraba, 11 miles from Bujumbura, and five attackers were killed.
June 27, 1999 |
A peace summit to end Congo's civil war was postponed Saturday as negotiators wrangled over conditions for a cease-fire. Outside mediators still hoped to salvage a deal "within days." Congolese rebel leaders met face to face with government officials for the first time in weeks, fueling hopes that a full-scale summit was still in the offing, said Salim Ahmed Salim, secretary general of the Organization of African Unity. Salim added that all the warring parties were at the meeting Saturday.