December 25, 1994 |
In what his family says is nothing short of a miracle, Anders Bjella came home from the hospital Saturday, just in time for his second Christmas. The 13-month-old son of Ross and Diane Bjella of Costa Mesa was near death after being stung repeatedly by a scorpion at a Mexican resort Dec. 18. "It's a very happy Christmas," his mother, Diane Bjella, said soon after arriving at the family's home, which friends had decorated. "He has his spirit back. He looks like himself again."
August 13, 2007 |
Bed feeling a little crowded? Maybe you have company. The Cimex lectularius, better known and despised as the common bedbug, is snuggling into households across Southern California, giving people the heebie- jeebies. The blood-sucking, heat-seeking, pint-size parasites aren't believed by the experts to transmit disease, but they do have a way of cranking up stress levels.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 21, 1994 |
The parents of a 13-month-old Costa Mesa boy who nearly died of a scorpion sting in Mexico last weekend said he is recovering quickly. "The little guy is a miracle story," Diane Bjella said on Tuesday, a day after her son, Anders, was flown by an ambulance jet from Puerto Vallarta to Children's Hospital in San Diego. "He's breathing on his own. The brain looks good," she said from the hospital. "Everything's being monitored closely."
September 6, 1999 |
New York City officials have confirmed that a second elderly Queens resident has died from an outbreak of St. Louis encephalitis, a virus transmitted by mosquitoes. Officials had suspected that the infection caused the 87-year-old woman's death last week but did not know for sure until Saturday, said Sandra Mullin, spokeswoman for the city Department of Health. An 80-year-old man died last week from the virus, officials said. Five others believed to be infected were receiving medical attention.
September 20, 1994 |
* If you are stung, scrape the stinger out. Do not squeeze with tweezers or with your fingers because that will force more venom into your system. * Wash the area with soap and water, apply a cold compress and cover with a topical steroid such as Cortaid. * If you are hypersensitive, the first sting serves to sensitize your immune system to the venom. A subsequent sting--perhaps months, even a year later--will trigger a severe allergic reaction.
August 30, 1999 |
Few people get through life without the pain or discomfort of a sting by a bee, yellow jacket, hornet or wasp, and many of us are stung more than once. For those who are allergic to the insect venom, these seemingly minor encounters can cause serious, even life-threatening complications. Each of these types of insects can trigger an allergic reaction. Some people are allergic to the venom of several of these insects, others to only one or two.