Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsInvestigation
IN THE NEWS

Investigation

WORLD
October 22, 2013 | By Tracy Wilkinson
MEXICO CITY -- Mexico on Tuesday ramped up its protest over reports that the United States spied on numerous senior Mexican leaders, including the country's current and former presidents. Foreign Minister Jose Antonio Meade, speaking in Geneva, said Washington's explanations were insufficient. "Mexico insists ... there is no room for explanations," he said. "But, rather, a timely investigation with clear responsibilities and swift corrective measures. " A short time later, Interior Minister Miguel Angel Osorio Chong went before TV cameras in Mexico City to announce that Mexico would investigate its officials, in addition to expecting Washington to look into its own possible transgressions.
Advertisement
SPORTS
November 20, 2013 | By Chris Foster
UCLA tackle Torian White was released from Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Twin Towers correctional facility late Tuesday night. White was arrested on suspicion of felony sexual assault Sunday. The district attorney's office has returned the case for further investigation. Charges have not been filed. White was released without bail. White has been indefinitely suspended from the team. ALSO: Tiger Woods could have benefited from new golf rule Clippers face tough games at Minnesota, Oklahoma City LeBron James talking soccer partnership with David Beckham in Miami
SPORTS
March 13, 2012 | By Sam Farmer
Turns out, the NFL isn't dragging its feet on punishing the New Orleans Saints in the wake of their bounty scandal. The league is simply honoring the request of the NFL Players Assn., which asked for time to conduct its own investigation. NFLPA spokesman George Atallah confirmed as much Tuesday to the Associated Press. The union said last week that members of its legal team planned to look into the so-called pay-for-performance program, a system that was largely player-funded and paid rewards of $1,000 if an opponent was carted off the field and $1,500 for a knockout.
SPORTS
December 13, 2013 | By Houston Mitchell
The attorney for the woman who accused Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston of sexual assault asked Friday for Florida's attorney general to examine the rape investigation and the Tallahassee Police Dept. Patricia Carroll said that detectives failed to interview key witnesses and that DNA tests were unreliable and incomplete. “The bulk of the investigation was into the rape victim,” she said. “I'm looking at an investigation of a rape victim, not a rape suspect. If victims are subjected on an ongoing basis to what this victim was there is a serious problem in the state of Florida and certainly the Tallahassee area.” Carroll said that the lead detective got a search warrant for her client's cellphone and social media accounts but failed to do the same for Winston and his two companions immediately after the accusations were made.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 19, 2014 | By Tony Perry
Military officials are investigating an incident at Camp Pendleton that left a Marine lance corporal in the hospital with stab wounds, officials said Sunday. She was taken to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, where she was treated for "moderate" injuries, official said. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service says the suspect may be a Marine corporal. The attack occurred on the base Saturday morning. Both Marines are with the 1st Marine Logistics Group. No other information was released.
SPORTS
December 4, 2013 | By Chris Dufresne
So much for published speculation that findings on the sexual-assault investigation involving Florida State freshman quarterback Jameis Winston would not be released until after this weekend. Willie Meggs, Florida's state attorney,  has scheduled  a Thursday news conference in Tallahassee to address the Winston case. "We think we have exhausted all investigative tools," Meggs said in a story posted on ESPN.com news services. The investigation is focusing on whether Winston sexually assaulted a female student last December, long before he became a national figure.
NEWS
April 25, 2012 | By Ken Dilanian
WASHINGTON - With eight Secret Service agents already forced out of the agency in the aftermath of a prostitution scandal, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told a Senate committee on Wednesday that investigators were trying to determine whether such conduct occurred on previous trips. "Part of our investigation is confirming that this was an aberration - or not," Napolitano said during an oversight hearing called by the Senate Judiciary Committee. The eight Secret Service agents retired, resigned or were fired by the agency for their alleged misconduct in Cartagena, Colombia, ahead of President Obama's arrival for an international summit April 13. A ninth agent will have his security clearance permanently revoked, which would force him to leave the Secret Service unless he successfully appeals the decision.
NEWS
June 12, 2012 | By Richard A. Serrano
WASHINGTON -- Attorney Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. told a Senate committee Tuesday that members of the Department of Justice's national security division have been recused from participating in new investigations into leaks of classified information to the press, but he insisted that the decision does not signal they were part of the unauthorized disclosure of secret material. He also said that he and FBI Director Robert Mueller III have already been interviewed by two teams of prosecutors about what they knew about the leaks into secret drone attacks, cyber warfare and other clandestine operations.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 27, 2013 | By Robert J. Lopez
A grass fire apparently sparked on the side of a freeway in Fairfield spread quickly, scorching five homes and forcing authorities to evacuate dozens of residences, police said Tuesday night. Two of the homes were destroyed by the blaze that broke out along Interstate 80 on Tuesday afternoon and three others were damaged, the Fairfield Police Department said. The homes were along Marigold Drive. As flames were pushed by winds, officers went door to door to evacuate homes and apartments and make sure no one was trapped inside.
NEWS
April 4, 2014 | By Timothy M. Phelps
WASHINGTON -- Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. announced Friday that the Justice Department is investigating the practice of high-speed trading on the stock exchanges. Holder, in testimony prepared for delivery before the House Appropriations Committee, said the Justice Department is investigating the use of computer algorithms and ultra-high-speed data networks to execute trades as a possible violation of antitrust laws. Firms that use such tactics, employing physicists and other scientists to predict changes in the markets sometimes only seconds in advance, have been around for more than three decades.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|