CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 10, 2009 |
More than 200 patients at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center were inappropriately exposed to high doses of radiation from CT brain scans used to diagnose strokes, hospital officials told The Times on Friday. About 40% of the patients lost patches of hair as a result of the overdoses, a hospital spokesman said. Even so, the overdoses went undetected for 18 months as patients received eight times the dose normally delivered in the procedure, raising questions about why it took Cedars-Sinai so long to notice that something was wrong.
June 29, 1998 |
Dear Dr. Blonz: Do you have information on any problems from drinking hot beverages from a plastic cup? I have been using Rubbermaid plastic bowls as drinking cups and frequently eat hot foods out of them. Is there anything leaching from the plastic that a person should be concerned about? --B.B., San Diego Dear B.B.: A number of materials are currently used for food packaging, and there is a potential for concern if a substance migrates from the packaging into the food.
October 12, 1999 |
The plant at the center of Japan's worst nuclear accident kept pumping small amounts of radiation into the air for more than a week before officials discovered it, the facility's operator said. Radioactive iodine-131 at double the legal limit was detected Friday at a ventilator opening in the building, but officials waited until three days later to turn off the exhaust fan and seal the opening. The ventilator had been left running after the Sept.
May 21, 1986 |
Radioactivity reaching the United States from the Chernobyl nuclear accident has declined so much that the Environmental Protection Agency said today it will stop reporting radioactivity concentrations at the end of this week. The agency's daily report on behalf of the interagency task force monitoring Chernobyl developments said that only 12 out of 26 rain samples analyzed by EPA monitoring stations contained iodine-131 and average concentrations were continuing to fall.
August 9, 1992 |
Although heartened by Gail Devers' gold-medal comeback in the women's 100-meter race, physicians specializing in thyroid conditions say they are perplexed and disturbed by her account of her battle against Graves' disease. Some of the pieces, they say, just don't compute. In particular, they say it is virtually impossible that the radioactive iodine she took to quell her overactive thyroid caused her feet to become so swollen and inflamed that doctors considered cutting them off.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 12, 2009 |
Dr. Joel Batzofin founded the Huntington Reproductive Center in Pasadena in 1988 and turned it into the biggest fertility practice in the West. By undercutting competitors' prices, he drew patients from around the world to his Southern California clinics. By 2001, Batzofin and the five partners he brought in shared a yearly profit of more than $5 million. But in a drama vaguely reminiscent of Julius Caesar's, his partners took a secret vote the next year, ousting him from his own empire.
May 6, 1986 |
The United States has picked up its first ground-level radioactivity from the Chernobyl nuclear accident, the special interagency task force monitoring developments of the accident said today. The task force said in a statement that a rainwater sample collected Monday at Richland, Wash., measured 500 picocuries per liter of iodine-131, according to a laboratory report. "This level poses no danger to residents in the area," the statement said.
March 24, 1992 |
Radioactive gases leaked from a Russian nuclear reactor early today, and an official described the accident as serious. Yuri Rogozhin, spokesman for the state nuclear inspectorate Gosatomnadzor, said: "The degree of the incident is serious, with possible consequences for the environment and the population." He said radioactive iodine had leaked from the plant at Sosnovy Bor, 60 miles from St. Petersburg.