June 19, 2013 |
British media company ITV has struck a deal to acquire a 65% stake in Thinkfactory Media, a producer of reality and scripted content, for $30 million with an option to buy the remaining 35% of the company. Best known for producing "Hatfields and McCoys," which won an Emmy and scored huge ratings for the History Channel last year, Thinkfactory was founded by Leslie Greif, a veteran television executive who will continue to oversee the company. "While retaining the independent spirit that keeps Thinkfactory Media creative, this relationship not only allows us to continue producing top-quality scripted and unscripted content, but enhances the potential for global distribution and our continued success in the marketplace,” Greif said in a statement. PHOTOS: Hollywood Backlot moments ThinkFactory first made its mark as a reality TV producer, and its credits include "Gene Simmons Family Jewels," which ran for several seasons on A&E. It has more recently pushed into drama fare and has new shows in development for cable channels History, Spike and A&E. For ITV, the purchase is part of a broader push to establish itself in the United States.
May 22, 2013 |
LONDON -- A man who may be a suspect in an attack Wednesday near a military barracks in the Woolwich section of the city was shown on television holding knives in bloody hands and making statements that suggested he may have been motivated by Islamic militancy. The ITV television network said it had obtained video in which the man speaks into a camera, saying: "We swear by almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you. " The man is suspected of being one of two involved in the midafternoon attack.
May 13, 2013 |
After the coffee. Before getting through two upfronts in one day. The Skinny: It's a beautiful day here in New York. Too bad I'll spend it indoors at the NBC and Fox upfronts, and then running in and out of Starbucks to steal their Wi-Fi to file blog posts. See what I go through for all of you? Monday's headlines include a recap of the weekend box office, news that a top television executive is expected to leave Warner Bros., and NBC's unveiling of its fall schedule.
May 10, 2013 |
NBC News is expected to name Deborah Turness, a prominent British TV journalist, to be its next president. Currently editor of Britain's ITV News, Turness will take the position that was previously held by Steve Capus, who resigned from NBC News in March. The Los Angeles Times last month was first to report that Turness was a leading candidate for the post. NBC News is declining comment on Turness and insiders there say no official announcement is expected Friday or Monday, which is when the network will unveil its new prime-time schedule to advertisers.
December 24, 2012 |
After the coffee. Before the last-minute run to the mall! The skinny: If you're reading this it means you're like me and had to do some work today. Well, we will try to make this a quick read so you and I can sneak out early and enjoy the evening. Monday's headlines include a box office recap and a review of "Django Unchained. " Merry Christmas to all my readers (I know you're out there) and also to fellow aggregators, especially I Want Media and Media Gazer. Daily dose: The National Football League stuck it to Fox and granted NBC's request to move next Sunday's much-anticipated Cowboys-Redskins game to prime time for its Sunday Night Football franchise.
December 12, 2012 |
Apple iTV rumors are getting back into full swing following a report saying the company is checking out several designs for a high-resolution television set. The Cupertino-based tech company is sharing the designs with some of its suppliers, including Foxconn, which puts together the iPhone, and Sharp, the Wall Street Journal reported. "It isn't a formal project yet. It is still in the early stage of testing," one of the report's unnamed sources said. PHOTOS: Top 10 tech products of 2012 According to the report, Apple has been testing television prototypes for a number of years, but has finally begun expanding its tests to include its supply chain partners.