Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJacqueline Seabrooks
IN THE NEWS

Jacqueline Seabrooks

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 22, 2008 | Joanna Lin and Andrew Blankstein, Times Staff Writers
An Inglewood police officer who shot and killed an armed man early Monday while responding to a domestic disturbance call is one of two patrolmen under investigation for another fatal shooting in May, authorities said. Officer Brian Ragan, a 5 1/2 -year veteran of the department, was immediately placed on paid administrative leave after the shooting of Kevin Wicks, 38, said Capt. Eve Irvine, commanding officer of the department's detective bureau.
ARTICLES BY DATE
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 24, 2008 | Raja Abdulrahim
Two men who police shot at in May, leaving their 19-year-old friend dead, are suing the city for assault, battery and negligent hiring, training and supervision. On May 11, Craig Brown and Gregg Whiting were in a Lincoln that was stopped in the street when a police car pulled up and blocked their path, and two officers began shooting unprovoked in their direction, according to the lawsuit. They were arrested and taken to jail, where they learned that one of their friends in another vehicle, Michael Byoune, had been shot and killed and that another friend was injured, according to the lawsuit.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 7, 2009 | Ari B. Bloomekatz
The FBI has opened a criminal investigation into the Inglewood Police Department's fatal shooting of 31-year-old Marcus Smith in May. The criminal probe, which was announced by the city in late June, is at least the third ongoing investigation into the department's use of deadly force. The FBI confirmed that it had opened the investigation, but would not discuss it. The civil rights division of the U.S.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 7, 2013 | By Rosanna Xia, Kate Mather and Andrew Blankstein
UPDATE: Police say five, not seven, dead in shooting; gunman acted alone Seven people -- including the gunman -- are dead after a shooting rampage that ended at Santa Monica College, police said. Santa Monica Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks described a violent shooting rampage that appears to have begun in the 2000 block of Yorkshire Avenue just before noon. Two people were found dead on Yorkshire Avenue and a home was on fire, authorities said. PHOTOS: Shooting at Santa Monica College The gunman then moved west along Pico Boulevard, firing at cars, including a bus and a police vehicle.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 7, 2013 | By Marisa Gerber and Andrew Blankstein
The Santa Monica Police Department on Friday night reduced the death toll from a rampage on the streets of the city. A police spokesman said at a press conference that four victims, plus the suspect, were killed. At an earlier press conference, the police chief said six victims had died. Officials said the discrepancy occurred because of conflicting witness accounts. They added that one of the wounded remains in critical condition. The police also said they now believe the alleged gunman acted alone and that a man detained earlier today was not involved in the rampage.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 13, 2013 | By Matt Stevens
The gunman who killed five people during a shooting rampage through Santa Monica left a farewell note expressing remorse for killing his father and brother, police said Thursday evening. John Zawahri, 23, also wrote that he hoped his mother would be cared for financially and said goodbye to several friends, the Santa Monica Police Department said. At a news conference  Thursday  night, police gave their most detailed account yet of how Zawahri made his way from his father's home on Yorkshire Avenue to the Santa Monica College library, where he was fatally wounded by authorities last Friday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 26, 2008 | Ari B. Bloomekatz and Joanna Lin, Times Staff Writers
State and federal officials on Friday called for additional investigations of the Inglewood Police Department after this week's fatal officer-involved shooting, the third such incident in the last three months. Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Los Angeles) said in a statement that she planned to call for a federal probe at a news conference Monday at City Hall. The state Legislative Black Caucus also called for California Atty. Gen.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 24, 2008 | Victoria Kim, Times Staff Writer
The mother of a 19-year-old man who was fatally shot by Inglewood police officers who mistakenly believed gunfire was coming from the vehicle he was riding in filed a claim seeking $25 million in damages from the city, the family's attorney said Monday. It was filed on behalf of Michael Byoune, who died from his wounds, along with driver Larry White, 19, and passenger, Chris Larkin, 21, both of whom were injured in the May 11 shooting outside a Rally's restaurant, said attorney Carl Douglas.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 14, 2008 | Joanna Lin, Times Staff Writer
Defending her management of a long-troubled department, Inglewood Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks told reporters Wednesday that she helped initiate an independent review of her agency after the first of a spate of officer-involved shootings that left three people dead. Seabrooks said she also stood by her decision to return Officers Brian Ragan and Roman Fernandez to active duty a month after the May 11 shooting that left Michael Byoune, 19, dead and two others wounded.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 15, 2008 | Ari B. Bloomekatz, Times Staff Writer
Inglewood Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks again expressed condolences Wednesday to the family of an unarmed man killed and another wounded by police officers in a shooting that she said was prompted by the actions of an unidentified gunman and resulted in "a very tragic outcome." Michael Byoune, 19, was killed early Sunday by two officers who fired on the vehicle he was riding in near Manchester and Crenshaw boulevards, apparently believing gunfire was coming from the car.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|