Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJavier Perez De Cuellar
IN THE NEWS

Javier Perez De Cuellar

NEWS
November 18, 1990 | From Times Wire Services
U.N. Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar struck a gloomy note over the Persian Gulf crisis Saturday, saying that an Arab summit appeared to offer the only chance of a peaceful outcome. "So far, I was unable to see any peaceful option, which I very much regret," he told reporters after attending a U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) seminar on how to help poor countries hit by Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.
Advertisement
NEWS
October 18, 1990 | From Times Wire Services
U.N. Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar said in an interview released Wednesday that military action against Iraq would be legitimate if economic sanctions do not work. The German weekly magazine Stern quoted him as saying that "the members of the U.N. Security Council will have to wait a little and see whether sanctions will, after all, show some effect." If they do not, military action "would be perfectly legitimate," should the Security Council so decide, he said.
NEWS
September 8, 1987 | CHARLES P. WALLACE, Times Staff Writer
After one of the most violent weeks in the Persian Gulf tanker war, attacks on shipping by Iraq and Iran had ceased by Monday, apparently in conjunction with a United Nations effort to mediate an end to the conflict. There have been no attacks by Iraq on Iranian shipping since Saturday, while Iran has refrained from hitting civilian ships in the gulf since last Thursday.
NEWS
September 26, 1987 | DON SHANNON, Times Staff Writer
Iran's insistence that Iraq be formally found guilty of starting the Iran-Iraq War before Tehran agrees to a cease-fire blocked a U.N. Security Council attempt to halt the seven-year-old conflict, a confidential report by Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar has confirmed. Perez de Cuellar recently visited Tehran and Baghdad, and the terms he proposed to the two warring countries were outlined in his report, a copy of which was obtained Friday by The Times.
NEWS
January 29, 1991 | JOHN J. GOLDMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Iraq presented a detailed inventory of damage and casualties to the United Nations on Monday, claiming that allied air raids during the first days of the Persian Gulf War killed 345 Iraqi civilians and wounded almost 450 others. The worst damage, Iraq's Foreign Minister Tarik Aziz said, took place in the Shiite holy city of Najaf where 130 civilians were killed.
NEWS
September 5, 1987 | DON SHANNON, Times Staff Writer
The U.N. Security Council on Friday unanimously approved a Persian Gulf peace mission by Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar, and the Reagan Administration emphasized that the mission should be limited solely to obtaining Iran's definitive answer to a cease-fire proposal in the 7-year-old Iran-Iraq War.
NEWS
November 17, 1991 | NICK B. WILLIAMS Jr., TIMES STAFF WRITER
New movement on the Beirut hostage crisis was foreshadowed Saturday by the reported arrival of a key United Nations negotiator in Damascus, Syria, and an Iranian press dispatch saying that two Western captives, an American and a Briton, would be released soon. The report in today's editions of the Tehran Times said the releases would be made "on humanitarian grounds" and that the kidnapers would "most probably give priority to a British hostage." It did not speculate on the timing.
NEWS
February 12, 1991 | JOHN J. GOLDMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
On the eve of the Persian Gulf War, U.N. Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar sought to reassure Iraqi President Saddam Hussein that President Bush wanted a peaceful solution to the Gulf crisis--"desperately." Hussein told Perez de Cuellar that he had pulled a brigade from Kuwait after announcing a withdrawal on Aug. 4, then changed his mind as U.S. forces began arriving in Saudi Arabia, according to a report on the purported contents of their secret Baghdad talks.
NEWS
January 10, 1991 | JOHN J. GOLDMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar, declaring it his "moral duty," said Wednesday that he will leave for Baghdad today in a last-ditch effort to avert war between the United States and Iraq. Perez de Cuellar's announcement came only hours after bleak talks between Secretary of State James A. Baker III and Iraq's Foreign Minister Tarik Aziz in Geneva.
NEWS
November 4, 1989 | DON SHANNON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
With an unprecedented half a dozen peace initiatives in progress at once, U.N. Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar says he's beginning to feel like a chess master playing 140 simultaneous matches. "I don't know how many I'll win," the 68-year-old Peruvian said with a wry smile during an interview in his office atop the U.N. headquarters tower. "I've only got two years, two months and 12 days left."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|