Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsJean M Costanza
IN THE NEWS

Jean M Costanza

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
September 14, 1996 | DEBORA VRANA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Securities and Exchange Commission has informed lawyer Jean M. Costanza that she faces possible legal action in connection with her work on bond deals for Orange County before its 1994 bankruptcy filing. The SEC has sent a so-called "Wells notice" to Costanza, a partner in the Los Angeles office of law firm LeBoeuf, Lamb Greene & MacRae. The firm has not received one, her lawyer said.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
September 14, 1996 | DEBORA VRANA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Securities and Exchange Commission has informed lawyer Jean M. Costanza that she faces possible legal action in connection with her work on bond deals for Orange County before its 1994 bankruptcy filing. The SEC has sent a so-called "Wells notice" to Costanza, a partner in the Los Angeles office of law firm LeBoeuf, Lamb Greene & MacRae. The firm has not received one, her lawyer said.
Advertisement
NEWS
January 3, 1996 | DEXTER FILKINS and MATT LAIT and TRACY WEBER, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
As Orange County prosecutors searched for culprits in the nation's worst municipal bankruptcy, the name of a little-known securities lawyer came up again and again. Witness after witness testified before a grand jury that it was attorney Jean M. Costanza who gave the legal green light to hundreds of millions of dollars of questionable financial deals. It was Costanza, they said, who told them they didn't have to reveal the county's precarious finances.
NEWS
January 3, 1996 | DEXTER FILKINS and MATT LAIT and TRACY WEBER, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
As Orange County prosecutors searched for culprits in the nation's worst municipal bankruptcy, the name of a little-known securities lawyer came up again and again. Witness after witness testified before a grand jury that it was attorney Jean M. Costanza who gave the legal green light to hundreds of millions of dollars of questionable financial deals. It was Costanza, they said, who told them they didn't have to reveal the county's precarious finances.
NEWS
January 4, 1996 | CARL INGRAM and MARK PLATTE, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
The state Senate agreed Wednesday to reopen its investigation of the fiscal collapse of Orange County, hoping to find out if witnesses perjured themselves in testimony last year. Sen. Quentin L. Kopp (I-San Francisco), a member of the special Senate committee that investigated the bankruptcy and recommended remedial legislation, told the Senate he feared that Orange County officials and others "misled and deceived" the committee at its hearings.
NEWS
January 3, 1996 | DAVAN MAHARAJ and MARK PLATTE, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Contending that recently disclosed grand jury testimony exposes massive "fraud and deceit," a state senator said Tuesday that he will move to reopen hearings into Orange County's bankruptcy. Sen. Quentin L. Kopp (I-San Francisco) said testimony before the grand jury and the Securities and Exchange Commission contradicted what Orange County officials and their advisors told a special senate committee early last year during its investigation of the bankruptcy.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 22, 1995 | GEBE MARTINEZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Rep. Christopher Cox (R-Newport Beach) said Tuesday that future congressional hearings should explore how former Orange County Treasurer-Tax Collector Robert L. Citron was able to satisfy the U. S. Securities and Exchange Commission when it looked into the operation of his investment pool eight months before it went bankrupt. Cox emphasized that he is not questioning the thoroughness of the SEC's inquiry into the highly leveraged investment fund, which subsequently suffered $1.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 15, 1996 | RENE LYNCH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A judge on Wednesday rejected a request to disqualify the Orange County district attorney's office from prosecuting former Assistant Treasurer Matthew Raabe in connection with the county's bankruptcy. Raabe's attorneys argued that the district attorney's office and its individual prosecutors suffered losses when the county declared bankruptcy in December 1994, making it impossible for the agency to fairly handle Raabe's case. But Orange County Superior Court Judge Everett W.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 4, 1996 | CARL INGRAM and MARK PLATTE, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
The state Senate agreed Wednesday to reopen its investigation of the financial collapse of Orange County to find out whether witnesses perjured themselves in testimony last year. Sen. Quentin Kopp (I-San Francisco), a member of the special committee that investigated the bankruptcy and recommended remedial legislation, told the Senate he feared that Orange County officials and others "misled and deceived" the committee at its hearings.
NEWS
January 3, 1996 | DAVAN MAHARAJ and MARK PLATTE, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Charging that recently disclosed grand jury testimony exposes massive "fraud and deceit," a leading state senator said Tuesday that he will move to reopen hearings into Orange County's bankruptcy. Sen. Quentin L. Kopp (I-San Francisco) said testimony before the grand jury and the federal Securities and Exchange Commission contradicted what Orange County officials and their advisors told a special Senate committee early last year during its investigation of the bankruptcy.
NEWS
February 12, 1995 | TRACY WEBER and JODI WILGOREN, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
It was Saturday night at the Prego ristorante , three days before Orange County declared bankruptcy. Valets rushed to park Mercedes convertibles and Jaguars in the packed lot. Inside, vaulted ceilings amplified the chatter and clinking tableware. Secluded in a private room behind the bar, an elite group of high-ranking county employees and two private attorneys nervously sipped glasses of Merlot and nibbled on exotic pastas.
NEWS
September 14, 1996 | DAVAN MAHARAJ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Ending seven days of rancorous jury deliberations, a judge declared a mistrial Friday in the first criminal trial resulting from Orange County's $1.64-billion bankruptcy. The action came after jurors deadlocked 9 to 3 in favor of acquitting former Orange County Budget Director Ronald S. Rubino on two felony counts.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|